Notable Music Albums

boredBy Ireland Castillo

I can assume that if you’re reading this, it is because you are guilty of boredom or your curiosity is getting the best of you (especially if you are choosing to read this during class). Assuming that you are all good students who read the newspaper at the appropriate time, let us continue. Ever bored with nothing to do? I have a million and one ways for you to do things with your time whenever and with whoever. Today’s topic: music.

I think all of us, you, me, the person next to you and your classmate all the way across the room, can agree that music is life (bit dramatic, but just roll with it). I mean, when we’re bored, which is like 35 percent of the time, (I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt) we tend to put on a set of headphones to listen to whatever song we last left off at. I mean, you could also put on a set of headphones to give off the illusion that you’re listening to something, when in reality your headphones are merely an excuse for other people not to approach you.

Back to the point! If you find yourself bored to death listening to the overplayed playlist of 2014 or the now approaching 2015 here are a few album suggestions:

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1”

Guardians of the Galaxy album cover
Guardians of the Galaxy album cover

If you loved the movie, you should love this. Unlike a majority of movie soundtracks that are filled with instrumental recordings (nothing wrong with that), it doesn’t hurt to listen to a real good movie soundtrack that can’t help but be so old school that it feels new. Personal favorite: “Come and Get Your Love.”

Maroon 5, “Songs about Jane”

"Songs About Jane" album cover
“Songs About Jane” album cover

Don’t get me wrong, Maroon 5 has some good songs coming out these days but for me, nothing gets back to the classics. Personal favorite: “This Love.”

“The Number One Hits: Elvis Presley”

"The Number One Hits: Elvis Presley" album cover
“The Number One Hits: Elvis Presley” album cover

C’mon? Must I really say why? If you’re real old-school, I recommend you take a look at one of the King’s albums. Nothing hits the spot like Elvis Presley and his “Can’t help falling in love.” Personal favorite: “Jailhouse Rock.”

NSYNC, “No Strings Attached”

"No Strings Attached" album cover
“No Strings Attached” album cover

Not the movie. Guilty as charged, I loved NSYNC when I was younger. It would be very likely for  you to catch me dancing to their number one song, but not anymore (referring to the dancing). So if you’re craving some early Justin Timberlake action, don’t hold back. Personal favorite: “Bye Bye Bye.”

Olly Murs, “Right Place Right Time”

"Right Place Right Time" album cover
“Right Place Right Time” album cover

I don’t think Murs music ranks anything close to major artists like Beyonce, Sam Smith or even Ed Sheeran, but that doesn’t erase the fact that his music can sometimes put a smile on your face. When you’re looking for something to smile about listen to Olly. Personal favorite: “Dance with me Tonight.”

Mind you, this is only a fraction of other fractions of other genres and types of music you can explore (plus my taste in music is very subjective), so take a chance and listen.