Arie Yamasaki

On Oct. 8, the Mililani High School Advanced Placement Research class was given the opportunity to visit Japan. Over fall break, students were able to visit Waseda University and Ritsumeikan University, along with an international high school–the American School in Japan. The trip mainly consisted of students deciding what schools they want to attend with different factors playing in regarding the cost and location. The AP Research class was able to explore popular places throughout Japan and learned about the cultural differences between Japan and the United States.

“At the colleges we saw, I was more impressed with the cost of tuition. For an international student, compared to out of state schools, it was a lot cheaper. It’s really competitive and hard to get in there. If you can, the cost, for the experience, is pretty impressive,” said AP Research teacher Tyson Kikugawa. “Getting to experience Japanese college was probably the newest thing for me. I was amazed how affordable it is there.”

The trip was designed to help students discover their potential in schools beyond the United States. A majority of students tend to stay within their country when they seek schooling after graduating, and going to Japan allowed the AP Research students to gain inside knowledge on foreign schools. They got to learn from international students’ viewpoints, including their personal experiences with attending school away from their home countries.

“At both universities, staff and students gave us a presentation about their school and the different majors they offer. Then we got a tour of the campus, both were beautiful and really cool,” said junior Aaralyn Lum. “I really enjoyed being able to see a student’s perspective as they were able to give us a taste of the academic side of the school. Because they weren’t from Japan and they had to adapt to being in a new country, it widened my interest in going to college there.”

The class also had the chance to do some sightseeing while exploring countless parts of Japan including Itsukushima Island, the Hiroshima Peace Memorial and several other places. One of the more unique locations they looked at was Miyajima Island, home to one of the most famous torii gates. As they were getting off the ferry, the class viewed the Itsukushima Shrine, torii gates and the overall view of the landscape. Upon their arrival, students were able to pet the deer that live on the island. Deer in Japan are viewed as sacred messengers from the gods. The Japanese government still protects the deer for their cultural values.

“Aside from the schools, I enjoyed visiting cultural landmarks like the Golden Pavilion and Todaiji Temple. However, my favorite spot we visited was Miyajima Island. At the time we went it was low tide, so most of the visitors were down by the torii gate taking photos. Even before touring the Itsukushima Shrine, being able to sit down with the deer and look at the ocean felt like deja vu,” said junior Ryley Agsalda.

While touring the country, the class experienced significant differences in the food, people and overall environment. They were able to gain a sense of living in a country that has numerous dissimilarities when compared to the United States. Many of the restaurants in Japan focused on one item that they can specialize on: yakitori, takoyaki mitarashi dango and many more. Rather than restaurants in America whose focuses are often shifted towards having a wide variety of foods. At these Japanese restaurants, there are certain etiquette rules unique to Japan. One of those rules is that slurping shows your appreciation towards the chef. Slurping your food means you are satisfied with your meal. Another rule is there is no tipping culture. Japan values dignity and respect more than tipping, so there is no reason to pay for anything else besides their service.

“The polite, temperate culture of Japan was something I acknowledged, observing the behavior of my old relatives. In that sense, even looking at certain demographics in America, you can observe the remnants of a larger culture in combination with a different environment. Through not only the landmarks, but the people, it was easy to see how different our cultures were and yet how much we both–in Asia and the west–influence each other,” said Agsalda.

To learn more about the AP Research trip to Japan, visit https://ayamasaki808.wixsite.com/japan23.