Alastair Domingo

Belise Swartwood’s journey in swimming began at the tender age of 5, fueled by her mother’s desire for her to be proficient in the water. Surrounded by two older siblings who served as role models, she embraced the family tradition and developed a profound passion for the sport. In her dedication to enhancing her skills, Belise actively participates in two distinct swim teams.

Mililani High School Swim Athletics is where Swartwood showcases her talents, engaging in rigorous training sessions from 3:15 to 5:00 p.m., spanning the end of October to mid-February. These practices, held at the Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center (VMAC), encompass a range of exercises, from distance swims to intensity-based drills, preparing the team for the challenges leading up to the state competitions. Even during the off-season, she diligently trains with the Kamehameha Swim Team.

“Find a reason to come to training for yourself. If you can find a reason that’s just for you, a reason to come to the hard training every day, that will keep you here,” said Swartwood, a senior.

Mililani High School’s swimming and diving team recently celebrated their third consecutive OIA Championship victory. The girls’ team emerged triumphant with a 300-point lead over their competitors with special acknowledgement given to Diving Coach Shannon Beeler for her contributions. The success extended beyond the OIA’s as two divers qualified for the state championships.

Swartwood stood out as a critical contributor to the team’s achievements, making waves by breaking the OIA record in both the 200-yard Freestyle and the 100-yard Butterfly. This feat earned her the esteemed title of the fastest woman in OIA History in the 200-yard Freestyle. The team’s prowess in both swimming and diving sets stage for the upcoming State Championship in Kihei, Maui, just two weeks away. As they gear up for this prestigious event, the MHS swimming and diving team demonstrates dedication, skill and a shared commitment to excellence.

“I just wanna keep swimming, keep dropping time and keep doing well,” said Swartwood.

Additionally, Belise has made the decision to commit to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) to further pursue her love for swimming at the DIII level. For more information on Mililani’s swim team, check out the athletics page on mililanihs.org.