Students “Make a Difference” and come together to clean community

By Reagan Paz
Members of the Pacific Asian Awareness Club (PAAC) came together on Make a Difference Day where they planted grass in the bare spots of the field in the front of the school. Along with PAAC, other clubs also helped beautify the school's campus through various service projects.

Students from MHS came together for Make a Difference Day on Oct. 22, where they did service projects to help improve the school and the community’s environment. Although the event mainly revolved around campus beautification projects, volunteers still felt that they were helping to benefit the community.

“(Make a Difference Day is) a time when people can give back to try and help change things to improve … the school. That’s (why) we’re having (volunteers) come and help do things that our custodians don’t have the time or money for,” explained Associated Students of Mililani High School Adviser Gail Nishimura.

The participants consisted of members from various MHS clubs, along with athletes, student council, students who just wanted to volunteer and even a military group that holds a partnership with MHS.  Some tasks they accomplished were planting grass in the bare spots in the front of the office and repainting different parts of the school.

Keeping the community and the school in a good condition is something participants were proud of.  “By taking care of the school, we’re kind of taking care of the community … in reality, if schools are littered, schools are old (and) dirty, students don’t take pride in it. So at the end of the day, taking care of the school (is something to take pride in),” said Leo Club Adviser Marc Tolentino.

Many students took satisfaction in the fact that they were helping the school and community. “I have fun doing community service; I personally do it all the time … it’s a normal thing to me and I actually have fun, so why not help the school while having fun,” said Senior Garrett Garcia, a member of Trojan Gamers.

Events such as Make a Difference Day encourage students to participate in service projects that help to make a difference in their school as well as the community. “(People) need to give back … And you know it doesn’t have to be at the school. It could be if you want to give back to the community somehow,” said Nishimura.

Staff members hope to see more student participation in future Make a Difference Days.