New Plants Bloom Around Campus

Madison Choo
An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.

In thoughtful planning, efforts and execution taken by the staff of Mililani High School, the school has undergone transformations to brighten up neglected areas around campus. New trees, plants and more were planted around the school’s campus throughout the year. Landscapes that were once seen as overrun and inundated now display new colors and plants. As you walk around the school’s campus, you may notice new orange fencing around the statue. Taking a deeper and closer look into the new additions, you will be introduced to the plants surrounding the statue.

“What we wanted to do is plant around the statue area and start with that as sort of a significant center to campus, and to really green up that space that was looking kind of over run,” said Principal Fred Murphy. “So this is a project the school is doing to beautify the space that was really looking run down. Our students have been very respectful, most students are very happy to see us trying something.”

These newly added plants were placed over the rainy winter break in hopes of establishing themselves before facing the summer months. Living in Hawai‘i, the weather tends to constantly change between rain and sun, so Mililani’s staff, consisting of custodians, Murphy and the school’s nursery took deep considerations into which plants would thrive well at MHS’s campus.

“What I did was I drove around Mililani and I looked especially to see the drier spots of Mililani, and see plants that are doing well with less water,” said Murphy. “Then I consulted the specialist at the nursery to help us make sure we were buying things that were going to be hardy and did not require too much water. Then I consulted with our custodians. I want them on board because the maintenance is on their side.”

With a frequently changing climate, the ground of Mililani’s campus undergoes constant changes, which introduces a variety of challenges. Many students and staff of MHS voice their concerns and opinions regarding the drainage system on campus. Through heavy rains, sidewalks may get flooded due to the drainage system, forcing students to walk through puddles while walking to class. This causes not only an inconvenience to students, but may affect teachers’ rooms as well. This ongoing project consists of not only new plants, but also aims to address the drainage system on campus.

“Buildings are heavy, so as they sink they push the dirt up around them where the gutters used to be and how they used to flow. The Department of Education has many priorities, and we have that on our list of things to be addressed. We would like to see covered sidewalks, better drainage, wider sidewalks, but there’s just not enough
money to do it,” said Murphy.

The staff at MHS continue working on these projects in order to provide a sustainable campus environment that reflects the community at MHS. Looking forward into future school years, MHS plans on doing something substantial each winter break depending on the funding allocated towards that direction.

For more information about the new landscaping projects, contact Mr. Murphy at [email protected].