Dredging up past detrimental to growth of others

By Karen Neill

Do you ever have flashbacks to moments when you said something to someone that you now regret, whether you were rude or insensitive, and know that you would never say anything like that again? Have you ever had other people bring up those moments when you least expect them? When those things happen to people, they are often probably thinking, “that was so long ago, just move on,” but don’t actually say it because it did happen and the ones bringing it up aren’t actually wrong.

Everyone has done things that they aren’t proud of, things they wish they could forget or things they hope other people don’t remember. Doing stupid stuff is a part of growing into ourselves as a person. Does that mean that all the stupid stuff we have done or will ever do should follow us for the rest of our lives?

We’ve probably all brought up stuff we shouldn’t have, because those events are easier to remember, but just because we aren’t the ones who messed up in the past doesn’t mean we have a right to make someone else relive those moments when they worked to put it behind them. No one is the exact same person they were one year ago, or even a week ago. So when someone has grown to be more mature and has worked hard to change offensive or rude behavior we should let them. Not bring up the past to make life even harder for them. The media has a reputation for doing just this.

Most people are aware of the Comedy Central Roast of Justin Bieber that took place on March 30, where he took the time to explain that he had done plenty of things that he was not proud of and that he wants to try and do better by his family, friends and fans. Opinions vary on if he is serious or can actually do it. But whether he does or not we shouldn’t be trying to beat him down before he can even try, especially by throwing all the things he is ashamed of in his face. No one is asking we forget about them, they had a whole hour and a half to point out his problems before his speech, but only good can come from leaving them in the past from now on.

Perhaps the reason we like to point out other people’s mistakes and hear news about celebrity screw-ups and breakdowns is because it reassures us that we aren’t the only ones who screw up. However, whatever the reason, we have to remember that nobody wants their entire life pinned up for everyone in the world to see. And although it is very tough to even attempt to defend Bieber’s past actions, the fact is that he can’t breathe without someone taking note, meaning not only did the media help create a bad name for him but will be extra scrupulous in checking everything he does moving forward, waiting for him to mess up in the slightest. The ironic things is: when people get so much negative attention for their past and the media searches desperately for something that can make them look bad, they become reluctant to change. And then the media blames them for still acting childish.

Continually bringing up the past or not letting someone move on from their mistakes is not fair. People should be allowed to turn a new leaf without others trying to make them feel less than for it. Only time can really tell if they are serious about changing, sometimes people aren’t even aware that they are, so the best we can do is give them the time and back off for a while.