Hui Malama o Mililani returns to Kahoolawe for restoration

By Jacelyn Hamamoto
(Photo courtesy of Hui Malama o Mililani adviser Sandra Webb) Besides going to Kahoolawe to service the land back to its natural self, Hui Malama o Mililani enjoyed learning about the Hawaiian culture as well as being part of something bigger than they imagined.

After tending to the war-torn island for six years, Hui Malama o Mililani returned to Kahoolawe once again to help restore it back to its original state. With permission from the Protect Kahoolawe Ohana and help from the Mililani community, students from Hui Malama o Mililani and other schools learned from adult leaders on the island and recognized different leadership skills, cultural practices and other important life lessons.

“We go not only to give back to the land, but to train our leadership within the Hui because Kahoolawe has a way of showing you life lessons and secrets of the land that you are unable to learn when surrounded by society and the busyness of our modern world,” said Hui Malama o Mililani President Senior Samantha Alvarado.

Whilst in Kahoolawe, Hui Malama o Mililani not only immersed themselves in the Hawaiian culture, but also did various service projects to help beautify the island. “Our projects on this access included filling the helicopter pad with ili stones (small flat round stones used to level the surface of the floor), taking care of the camp area itself, restoring the hula stage and trail maintenance of the Ala Loa or the great trail that will circle the entire island one day for cultural and access purposes,” said Alvarado.

As for the hands-on work that the students did, the teachers part of Hui Malama believed that it was something important for their learning. “It’s just that you don’t have to teach them. The experience teaches them. There is no more amazing teacher than taking them to Kahoolawe so they can work together, they have to be responsible and have to physically push themselves,” said Hui Malama o Mililani adviser Sandra Webb.

Students left all worldly possessions behind due to radio frequencies and undetected bombs that still reside on the island from World War II. “We were fully immersed in the Hawaiian culture. We had no phones or anything, just radios to talk to people off-island for an emergency. But other than that, there was nothing,” said Sophomore Samson Lautzenheiser.

Leaving behind their materialistic items also left space for a newfound positive outlook. “We leave everything bad and negative behind us, there are no worries and no problems on-island, they are all washed away,”said Alvarado.

Everyone had personal reasons for attending the trip; however, a deeper meaning of environmental sustainability and Hawaiian culture was stressed. “The purpose was Hui Malama was made to help sustain the land of Hawaii. By going on this trip, we learned more about what we are protecting and why we’re protecting it,”said Lautzenheiser. “Everything is culture-based because we’re trying to protect the land and just make sure it’s still safe.”

The Kahoolawe experience had a large impact on the students, as they became more aware of their own leadership, respect, trust and responsibility. “While it’s important that we work hard while on-island, it is also important that we remember why we are doing it. Whether to be used to educate, practice religion, culture, spirituality or even to find sanctuary, we must fulfill our own personal calling,” said Alvarado.

Students also found themselves growing more attached to the island than they expected. “Kahoolawe is a place that I feel very attached to and even though it’s a place that is constantly changing and is always enjoyed with new company, it always feels like going home, and this is why I think that the name ohana fits perfectly,” said Alvarado.

Traveling with each other all over the Hawaiian islands, students were able to create lasting friendships. Alvarado explained, “We have kids from different grade levels and backgrounds who all have great individual spirits that they bring to the hui and now that we are all together, I’m happy to call them my brothers and sisters.” Lautzenheiser added, “I gained so much from this trip, not all just on the environment but a bunch of new friends.”

After successfully restoring certain parts of Kahoolawe, Hui Malama o Mililani came back with a greater sense of responsibility and humility, planning to return in 2016.