Surfing to become a sport, students stoked

By Kimberly Yamaguchi
"I want to thank my sponsors for supporting me, big thanks to In4mation, ESDS (Electronic Shark Defense Systems). Hotline Wetsuits, Ronin Eyewear, Destination Surf, Peacewave Sunscreen, Fadesurf and Was Oshiro." -Kai Matsumoto

In 2004 the Board of Education approved high school surfing as an Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) sport. However, it failed to go any further than clubs in few schools due to a massive amount of regulations and waivers. On Oct. 3, 2011 Governor Neil Abercrombie announced the official recognition of surfing as a high school sport, to what appears to be a great deal of student interest.

“I’m sure (there’s interest), not only by the coach but by the student athlete,” explained Athletic Director Glenn Nitta. There are, however, many qualifications for both coaches and athletes to fulfill. Without every qualification completed for the minimum two coaches, a team may not be formed.

“Well because it’s in the water … (they) have to know CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation), first aid, ocean rescue skills training, ocean rescue,” Nitta said in reference to a qualified coach. “They have to meet all these requirements before they can be a certified surfing coach. And for some of these people it might not be worthwhile.”

Not only would the coach be held under strict regulations, the student athletes would as well. “For the student(s), they have to meet certain qualifications too, besides meeting athletic qualifications like 2.0 and everything else like that,” said Nitta. Aside from signing liability waivers and permission forms, each student will be required to be CPR certified and take ocean rescue skills and ocean safety risk management skills training or be a certified Junior Lifeguard.

“I was pretty stoked. I’m looking forward to it; hopefully I’m still here,” said Junior Lachlan Parlee, “It’s something I do on my free time that I just like to express myself. (The best part is) surfing with friends and just being in the ocean.”

Some of the participants have competition experience, while others do not. “For fun you don’t really have to concentrate on your opponents and what you got to do in a heat,” explained Junior Kai Matsumoto.

While the formation of a team still relies heavily on whether or not a qualified coach or coach willing to be certified is found, the students are much more willing to fulfill the requirements. Matsumoto said he would be certified in order to join the team. “(I surf) almost everyday, just for fun. The best part about it (is) competing,” Matsumoto said. An experienced competition surfer, Matsumoto thrives off of the competition aspect of surfing.

Despite some present struggles, students of all skill levels are optimistic for the new surfing team.