Fifteen years for 15 wins JV Girls Soccer wins OIA championships

By Ireland Castillo
(Jake Serrano | Na Mano Poina Ole) As with every sport, the support that the team receives plays a key role in the success of the season. For the JV girls soccer team, family and friends and coaches are the reason the team has seen such success for the past 15 years.

After another year of hard work and dedication, the MHS Trojans have won yet another Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) championship title. Proving their skill in rain or shine, the JV girls soccer team won their 15th consecutive OIA Division I championship since 2000.

“Winning 15 consecutive OIA titles is a huge accomplishment.  It is kind of crazy to think that since they started the Junior Varsity back in 2000-2001, that Mililani has won all of it.  Every year, the Mililani JV soccer team has a target on their backs because everyone wants to take down the reigning champions,” said Coach Shea Nakasone.

The OIA championship game was hosted at Kaiser High School on Jan. 24, where MHS’ Lady Trojans went up against the Pearl City Chargers. Both teams holding a record of 8-0-1, the game was a close match between the two. Eventually, the game ended with a score of 2-1, in favor of Mililani. Previously, Mililani had defeated Kahuku with a score of 3-0, as the Pearl City Chargers faced off against the Kaiser Cougars.

During the first half of the game, it was a game of sheer luck as both teams were locked in an offensive battle for the ball. As Kaiser inched it’s way down the field towards the goals, through a series of throw-ins and passes, Mililani was able to hold its defense against the onslaught of attempted goals. The score was finally broken by  Number 9, Freshman Tehani Furuta, who headed the ball into the goal after a corner kick by Number 11, Freshman Tayzna Furuta. Even against the most unlikelist of weather conditions against them, Mililani had kept Pearl City’s defense at bay

As the game proceeded, Kaiser attempted several goals each saved by the goalie, Sophomore Tiare Kahalewai. With a good defense, Mililani’s offense was able to score one more goal during the first half of the game with an own goal shot by Pearl City’s own after a corner kick by Tayzna Furuta. As the time on the clock for the first half dwindled, Pearl City pulled off a long shot kicked by number four, Pipper Collado that tied the score of 1-1. “When (Pearl City) scored their goal right before the half, that was when we were both tied. We were getting nervous because they were coming back,” said Kahalewai.

The second half of the game was Mililani’s time to run the clock, as Mililani led the game 2-1 by the end of the first half. “(It was in) the last ten minutes of the game we were like (we’re) gonna, we were gonna get through this. So we knew we had to stall time so that they’ll have little time to try and score,” said Forward Sophomore Breanna-Leigh Bactista. The game was a success, as the clock timed out Miliani had once again won against the Pearl City Chargers, keeping their streak of 15 consecutive championship titles.

Yet, the success of this year’s team and all the other past successes of the JV Girls Soccer team could not have been a reality without the support and dedication imposed by Coaches Trina Sanders and Nakasone and Head Coach Dennis Sanders. “(The coaches) try their best to make every practice count for us and they encourage us to give (it) our most effort,” said Bactista. More importantly, it is to the support of families and fans that encouraged this year’s team to win once again. “The bleachers were like almost full when we came to Kaiser and a lot of players’ families came, my whole family from Pearl City, they’re from Pearl City they came and watched me play,” said Bactisa. Kahalewai added, “Since you know that you (have) support, it pushes you to like try your best becasue they’re cheering on for you, so you don’t want to let them down.”

With an undeniable bond between coaches and teammates and all the other people that have made this year another success story, Mililani hopes to keeps its streak as OIA JV girls champions.