Make your last hours count with a natural death

By Jacob Balatico

Many people dream of passing away peacefully, or of passing without feeling any pain. Sadly, this can’t always be the case. Some people are diagnosed with terminal illnesses such as cancer that destroy the possibility of a peaceful death. After taking their time to reconcile themselves however they see fit, a person has things to figure out. One of those things may be whether or not they want to take part in an assisted suicide.

Physician-assisted suicide consists of a doctor giving a patient information about lethal doses of drugs and prescribing or otherwise supplying those drugs. Other names include “death with dignity,” “dignity in death” and the “right to die.” But how much dignity would someone with a terminal illness really be dying with if they take their own life?

Organizations such as Dignity in Dying in the United Kingdom campaign for access to a full range of medical services, including providing terminally ill adults with the option of a painless death. However, even if it is painless to the person, what about the person’s family? I believe that we should all live out our days to the end because it would be selfish to take your own life to end your suffering when in turn, your own family and friends can’t spend that full time they have left with you. People who decide to partake in assisted suicide cut their strings short and don’t take advantage of the time they have left to spend with their loved ones.

Ending your life means not being able to fulfill your life dreams. Lauren Hill is a college freshman who was diagnosed with a deadly form of brain cancer in her senior year of high school. Despite having only a few months to live, she has decided to play basketball for Mount St. Joseph University. Even though it gets hard and she feels tired when she plays, Hill perseveres. “I knew that when I was diagnosed with this, it’s a challenge. It’s a really big challenge,” she said in an article by National Public Radio. “But I decided to face it.”

Since then, Hill has played in her second game and has brought much awareness to the battle against cancer. She didn’t give up. She decided to do something that could help others. To me, Hill has won the battle with cancer.

I think what Hill really teaches us is that even when facing death, we can make a difference.

In the end, it is a very difficult choice and a personal one, however I still encourage people to not give up and to keep fighting.