Pressure is off: a win for homecoming and OIA playoffs

By Cyanne Ito

For those not able to participate in the homecoming parade or spirit trophy competitions, the homecoming game is the highlight of all homecoming festivities. This is seen in the crowd of fans 3,000 strong that came together to help support the MHS football team allowing them to win 34-0 and qualify for the OIA Red Division Playoffs.

Homecoming festivities ended with a 34-0 victory over the Kapolei Hurricanes. Not only was the pressure to win this game high due to the crowd of 3,000 fans, but a win was also needed to qualify for a slot in the OIA Red Division Tournament.

“For us we were desperate for a win and we needed it to get into the playoffs, and we’re proud of the kids … they played well, they executed the game plan,” said Varsity Head Coach Roderick York.

York feels that what really won the game for the Trojans was the fans, who came out to support the team. “The fans (are) just great. They took the kids spirits to another level before the game,” said York.

The team didn’t win due to fans alone, they went through much preparation beforehand. Although they broke their streak of two losses, preparation for this game was no different than for any other game. “(We prepare) how we prepare every week; come out, 110 percent ready, we scout the team, we adjusted our game plan, and then we just execute plays,” said Senior slot DeShawn Duncan-Benson. Junior quarterback Jarin Morikawa agreed saying, “It feels good to get back on track and get winning again.”

The team hopes to continue their winning momentum into upcoming games. “My hope is that we just win every game from here on out … It’s gonna be a hard world but I know we can do it. I believe in my boys, and we should end up in the state championship,” said Benson.

After winning homecoming game, many players are already looking forward to next year’s homecoming game. “It was a great experience … a lot of excitement, it felt good playing the game and I can’t wait for next year’s homecoming,” said Morikawa.

One goal for the team this year is to win the OIA championship and continue onto state championships.