Back from last year, Nakayama reprises role as Marching Band drum major

By Caitlyn Resurreccion
(Risa Askerooth | Trojan Times) Aside from his responsibilities as a drum major for the MHS Marching Band, Daniel Nakayama (12, center) also plays the trumpet. On Sept. 16, he played in the MHS music department's Fall Pops concert not as a drum major, but as a choir member, trumpet accompanimen to "Circle of Life" and wind ensemble member.
(Risa Askerooth | Trojan Times) Aside from his responsibilities as a drum major for the MHS Marching Band, Daniel Nakayama (12, center) also plays the trumpet. On Sept. 16, he played in the MHS music department’s Fall Pops concert not as a drum major, but as a choir member, trumpet accompanimen to “Circle of Life” and wind ensemble member.
(Caitlyn Resurreccion | Trojan Times) In ready position, Daniel Nakayama (12) grabs the Marching Band's attention to begin practice.
(Caitlyn Resurreccion | Trojan Times) In ready position, Daniel Nakayama (12) grabs the Marching Band’s attention to begin practice.

On top of the beat, Senior Daniel Nakayama has entered his second year as MHS Marching Band drum major. Although being a drum major requires a certain set of qualities and skills to lead the band, Nakayama holds high expectations for this year.

“It doesn’t feel that different because I was a drum major last year,” said Nakayama, “But it’s definitely an honor to be a drum major again.”

Now in his second year, Nakayama has set goals for the band and for himself. With this year’s show “Uprising” based on the conflict between mankind and technology, Nakayama expects the band to be better than it was in previous years. “Being a drum major again honestly doesn’t make me feel pressured. The band relies on me and I rely on the band,” expressed Nakayama. “Last year was a big step-up and this year is no different. It challenges me to become better and just polish even the tiniest mistakes I make.”

Before being selected as drum major, Nakayama re-auditioned for the position against fellow band members in May. “It seemed like (to everyone) I was already guaranteed the role. But I wanted to try out and see if I truly deserved it,” Nakayama said. “I could honestly say anyone (trying out) had a fair chance of being selected for the role.”

Even with a year as drum major under his belt, Nakayama acknowledged that the selection process was just as nerve-wracking as it was challenging, especially when going against fellow band members. “I wouldn’t call them competition because they’re my friends, but it was challenging. Everyone was good and it also put some doubt in my head,” said Nakayama.

Despite Nakayama’s misgivings, Marching Band Director Derek Kaapana recognized his dedication and passion. “The students that tried out were all exceptionally talented. But I chose (Nakayama) for a reason,” Kaapana explained. “He was a drum major last year and when the selection process came around, he asked me to tell him what he did wrong and what can he improve on while practicing. That’s a quality of a great drum major. Actually, a good quality for anyone to have really.”

As a result, fellow marchers are glad to have Nakayama back this year. “I’m really glad (Nakayama) was selected again. He’s a great leader. He knows when to be serious and when to just relax and joke around,” Sophomore Mitchell Kim-Fu said. “I have a lot of respect for him not only as a drum major, but as a friend.”

Nakayama attributes his success as a student and as a leader to the people who have helped him grow from a middle school trumpet player to the drum major he is today. “My family and friends were there to support me. So just knowing that I have that support and people believed in me was good enough,” expressed Nakayama.

With competitions approaching in October, Nakayama prepares himself to keep the band performing at its best throughout the year.