Coloring the world of Duke Kahanamoku, Hirata takes first in contest

By Misha Lawrence
(Photo courtesy of Shannen Hirata) Ariana Hirata (11) first entered the Duke Kahanamoku Coloring Contest and took home a brand new surfboard as a prize after winning first place.

Junior Ariana Hirata implemented her art skills in this year’s Duke Kahanamoku Coloring Contest and received the first place grand prize on Aug. 21. This art assignment turned out to be a successful one and showed everyone a small snippet of Hirata’s talent.

“I applied my passion for art and my knowledge to color because I know to always take my time in my work and I used my knowledge on shading and adding details with appropriate colors to make my picture pop,” Hirata said.

For Hirata, making art is a great way to spend her time and show her true colors. “I like that art is a way to express myself and is a really good way to occupy my free time and empty my head on paper or a canvas. My favorite type of art is mostly street art. I also do some realism from time to time,” Hirata said. “As an artist I mostly aim to create and express the things I like or enjoy. I mostly create things that I find interest in looking at or doing.”

The inspiration for Hirata’s artwork comes from various places that she sees and her experiences. “The things I find interest in when it comes to creating a new piece of art is all the urban art I see all around in the streets by other artists. I love the colors and style of it all, which inspires me to create artwork on that level of creativity,” Hirata said.

Hirata’s love of art was inspired by her father. “I accredit my passion for art to my dad because he is really artistic in art as well and he was always my inspiration and motivation. He would always appreciate and admire all the work I produce, always motivating me to continue and develop my skills for it,” Hirata said. Hirata’s father, Russell Hirata added, “I give her 100 percent encouragement to do whatever she wants and I always support her with whatever she chooses to do.”

Russell Hirata has supported her in everything she aspires to do.“I just want to see what’s next. She always surprises me with what she creates,” he said. “Right now she’s still experimenting with what she can do and I just want her to find what she enjoys doing most with her style.”

In addition to being supported by her father, Hirata is also supported by Art teacher  Ruth Anne Ravina-Koethe,  who recognizes Ariana Hirata’s potential as an artist. “Students who strive for excellence, who work diligently and are dedicated to improve their skills along with giving up just a little of their inner sense, often create exceptional pieces,” Koethe said.

Ariana Hirata continues to improve her art skills and hopes to enter future art contests.