Enviornmental passion leads to unexpected win for Alvarado

By Jacelyn Hamamoto
(Photo courtesy of Senior Samantha Alvarado) (L-R:) Social Studies teacher Dr. Amy Perruso and Samantha Alvarado (12) also took the time to visit historical monuments in the city.

Dedicating months of her time to create a project about the environment, Senior Samantha Alvarado has received the Civic Renewal Network Civitas Award in Washington, D.C. for her National History Day (NHD) project, “The Evolution of Water Rights in Hawaii: The Struggle to Balance Economic and Cultural Responsibility.”

“I was so excited when I realized my NHD project could have an environmental twist, with a mix of ancient and local history,” said Alvarado. “I didn’t want this project to be something I was forced to do for class, but rather something I cared about.”

The Civic Renewal Network Civitas award is given to a student in each state, recognizing exemplary civic projects. It’s an alliance of 26 nonprofit organizations that provide free civic education resources to teachers, strives to raise the visibility of civics education and emphasizes its importance in developing engaged and responsible citizens. With a project based on water and land rights, Alvarado was chosen to represent the state of Hawaii. “I would like to think that this award represents the acknowledgement of valid arguments and solutions for the future that combines traditional knowledge with the power of modern activist movements,” Alvarado said, “I think that this mind set of blending historical practices with civic action and political regulation is what is achieving recognition.”

At first, unaware that she was a possible candidate, Alvarado was surprised to receive the award. “After I was invited to D.C. I went to talk to (Social Studies teacher Dr. Amy) Perruso about what I would need to present during our trip when a teacher asked me, ‘So you’re the student who is receiving the award?’ I was so surprised by the question I don’t think I managed to stutter out an ‘um’ when Dr. Perruso answered, ‘Yes she is,’ and the teacher replied, ‘Congratulations,’” Alvarado explained. “I’m thankful that I managed to stutter out a ‘thank you,’ through my shock. It wasn’t until then that I found out that I was going to be recognized in D.C.”

Alvarado accredits her success to both teachers and family who have supported her. “My initial reaction was relief that the universe had finally figured out one small way to honor the precious, brilliant young leadership amongst us,” said Perruso. Alvarado’s father, Wil Alvarado added, “I would have liked to think that all that preparation would pay off someday. I felt extremely proud, incredibly excited and a small sense of relief that she got much-needed recognition.”

Inspired by the environment and trips to Kahoolawe for conservation work, Alvarado based the project on expropriation of water rights from native tenants and later small farmers.“Her research stretched from plunging into the state archives to interviewing contemporary activists on the issues of land, water and sustainability. She then continued to take political action based on her new understandings, working with students across the state to articulate and develop school-based sustainability,” Perruso said.

Having received the award, Alvarado hopes to inspire others by voicing the value of the environment. “I hope that this award will serve the purpose of showing other students that our voices are important, and that our actions do matter and hold value,” Alvarado said. “Just as others had inspired me, I hope that my passion will reach my fellow students, and serve justice as the presentation of my fellow peers as well.”

Possessing such drive and passion, Alvarado hopes to continue raising awareness for the environment.