From Searider to Trojan, Matsuba settles into new position as assistant principal

By Ireland Castillo
(Ireland Castillo | Trojan Times) Before coming to MHS, Assistant Principal Kenn Matsuba previously served as vice principal at Waianae High School.

From a Waianae Searider to MHS Trojan, Assistant Principal Kevin Matsuba holds high hopes for his first year here at MHS. After the leave of Assistant Principal Sean Takashima, Matsuba was selected to fill the position.

“I’m loving it. It’s very different from my previous school. It’s a lot more students, but I’m enjoying it. The staff’s been very courteous and helpful, just trying to get used to the whole new atmosphere and environment,” said Matsuba.

Previously, Matsuba served 12 years as vice principal at Waianae High School and with the success of his tenure, MHS’ administration holds high expectations. “When I look for staff members to become a part of Mililani High School, I look for people that are personable, people who are educated, people who are going to make a positive impact on the campus and I totally believe that Mr. Matsuba is one of those people,” said Principal Fred Murphy, “When we talk about experience we talk about someone who knows the ropes of administration, so we’re not training them at the same time. So he has a whole history of doing the job and being successful.”

With the school year just beginning, Matsuba has set goals for himself to accomplish by the end of this year. “I think just one of the immediate goals is just to kind of begin to learn what goes on here. Familiarize myself with the systems, getting to know the students and the faculty,” explained Matsuba.

With a whole career as assistant principal ahead of him, Matsuba has decided to dedicate himself to the students here at MHS. “I just want the students to know that once they graduate (they have) options, whether that be going to college or finding a job, maybe some trade school, military. Whatever it is that (they decide), they are prepared for that,” explained Matsuba.

Matsuba was initially nervous to be joining MHS; however, with the help of fellow administrators and teachers, Matsuba fit right in. “They’ve been really good, very friendly, very helpful,” said Matsuba, “You know, new school, new people, new staff, but they’ve been good, they’ve been helpful.” Assistant Principal Andrea Moore added, “He’s basically slipping in seamlessly to co-run the now-sophomore class of 2017. He’s quick, he helped Mr. Petersen with some cases.”

In addition, Matsuba has begun to warm up to the unique atmosphere here at MHS. “One of the things that I never saw at a previous school that I see here is that the staff, especially the parents, they’re so willing to help, they’re involved. When I came for Jump Start, when I came for Freshman Orientation, I was amazed at the turnout you know, so that there is support from the parents and there’s support from the staff and that’s a huge thing you don’t see at every high school,” expressed Matsuba.

Matsuba, in addition to the rest of the MHS staff, will work to make this school year better than the last.