Marchan wins fourth in the nation at Cisco Networking NetRiders competition

By Ireland Castillo

Some may think it’s impossible to outsmart over 9,000 students, but for Junior Mick Marchan, it was as easy as taking a test, where he placed fourth in the nation in this year’s Cisco Networking Academy NetRiders USA and Canada competition.

“(Marchan’s) accomplishment, in my personal opinion, is amazing,” said Industrial Arts teacher Blaise Hanagami, “(Marchan) was going against a lot of college students and not only that, he also went up against high schools that were basically trade schools.”

The Cisco Networking Academy NetRiders competition challenges students with a test on basic concepts of networking, in addition to creating a virtual simulation in which competitors applied networking concepts to solve a problem. “It was a hundred (question) exam on networking protocol, port numbers, pretty much everything about networking then after that there was pretty much a lab,” said Marchan, “In that simulation, you had to, we had to fix the networking of a winery and we had to check the sensors like that and stuff.”

This year, Marchan was the only qualified contestant from Hawaii to compete in the final round of testing which was held on May 1. Compared to the first round of testing, by the final round Marchan was up against 111 other competitors ranging from college to high school students. Overall, Marchan placed fourth in the 18 and under division and placed an overall 55 out of 102 college and high school students. “If you compared (Marchan) to everybody, like everyone under and over 18 he placed 55,” said Hanagami, “Which is actually pretty crazy because there (were) only 10 other high school members amongst the pack that he competed against, so that means that everybody else for him to place 55th, he basically beat all college students.”

Compared to previous achievements, this was the first time in MHS history that NetRiders competed individually in the competition. “I think it’s very good,” said Tech Coordinator Kory Takemoto, “(Marchan) is carrying on tradition because we’ve been (doing) very well for the past few years.” Hanagami added, “I think this is a huge accomplishment for Mick Marchan in particular, in that this was the first year that NetRiders went on an individual basis. Before, in the previous years to this one, you competed as a team.”

Both Hanagami and Takemoto recognize Marchan’s success as one that was well deserved. “The only reason (Marchan’s) accomplishment was possible was because number one, (Marchan) is very self-driven,” said Hanagami, “He’s always very, in my opinion, humble, he doesn’t let it get to his head. When he accomplishes something, he doesn’t go bragging about it. You know he’s a very successful man, but he has the character to match it.” Takemoto added, “(Marchan) is really good at solving problems, so taking the information that he knows, applying it to a problem and being able to figure it out, so I think that’s one of, that’s why he does well. ”

In turn, Marchan credits his success to both of his networking teachers, in addition to others. “Pretty much Takemoto, Mr. Takemoto who’s our networking admin here and Mr. Hanagami (have) helped out a lot through all of this and actually everyone, everyone in the network,” said Marchan.

After placing fourth in the competition, Marchan was awarded a $2,000 router that he is currently planning on donating to either Takemoto or Hanagami.