Trojan track and field sprints to success at OIA championship

By Harlan Rose
With the Oahu Interscholastic Association championships falling on the same day as senior prom, many underclassmen, such as Sophomore Vanessa Roybal (left), had to step it up in order to score more points in pursuit of the team title.

Underclassmen athletes on MHS’ boys and girls varsity track and field teams were required to bring the extra effort to the Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) championship, held on May 3 at the MHS stadium while the senior athletes were attending prom. Despite having a smaller team, they were able to secure several spots in the top six of their events with the boys’ team taking fifth place and the girls taking seventh place overall.

“It feels really good because the top competitors, they were all seniors and they all get like 57 seconds or 60 seconds and to be a sophomore and place that high it was really good,” said Sophomore Leah Keller, who placed fifth in the 400-meter dash.

In order to train for the OIAs, athletes had to participate in rigorous practices beginning in November. “Training consists of conditioning runs, speed work, speed endurance work, weight training, hill running and ab (and) core work,” said Head Coach Dane Matsunaga. Runners also performed additional exercises outside of their daily practices. “On my own time I would go swim and do a bunch of other exercises,” said Sophomore Brandee Schiller, who ran in the 3000-meter race.

The runners felt that their coaches had helped them reach the OIA championship by encouraging them during practice and during the races themselves. “They basically just told me what my race strategy should be and made workouts that would help us get to this point,” said Sophomore Vanessa Roybal, who placed third in the 3000-meter run.

Runners also received support from their teammates at the meet as they created encouraging posters for the athletes and cheered for them from the sidelines. “There’s this special place before the 300 curve and that’s where you really need support and my teammates are always there, yelling at that exact spot and it pushes me,” expressed Keller.

During the races, the runners had to work to keep themselves focused and in good form. “I was just trying to keep my pace and keep going a little faster and faster because in my head, you always want to give up but you know you can’t and you just got to push through the pain,” Schiller said. Matsunaga also offered support for the runners during the race. “The preparation has been done throughout the week. It’s just about encouraging them and reminding them they are ready to compete and hope for the best,” Matsunaga expressed.

Despite the seniors not being able to attend the championship meet, several underclassmen athletes secured a position in the top six of their events and the boys team placed fifth overall. “I just thought it was a really good feeling, like after all the training we made it this far and it was good,” said Keller.

However, the runners felt that they could improve in many areas in order to achieve a higher ranking. “(We have to do) off training, that will always help you start the season a little stronger and then you just keep building off of that. Doing more than just the minimum, doing exercises swimming, anything else that will help running become a little bit easier,” said Schiller. Roybal added, “I think mentally I just have to believe in myself and just keep working on my speed and my strength and I’ll get there one day.”

The varsity track and field teams competed in the state championship on May 10 at Kamehameha Schools Kapalama and are currently looking forward to the next track season.