MHS music programs “take the stage” at Mililani’s first “Eat the Street” event

By Shan Yonamine
MHS marching band members provide live entertainment for the crowd at Mililani's first "Eat the Street" event.

MHS music programs were offered a rare opportunity by the Mililani Town Association (MTA) to be the featured live entertainment of “Eat the Street” which was held for the first time ever at Mililani Recreation Center 7 on Sept. 17. Entertainment at “Eat the Street” does not usually involve a live performance, however, the MTA felt it was important for schools to be involved in this community event.

“Eat the Street is … pretty much a national event where food trucks are organized into one area for people to enjoy food,” stated MTA Members Activity Coordinator Mei Lin Park.  “Eat the Street” was brought to Hawaii in 2010 and even more recently to Mililani Town.

To accommodate the community, the coordinators of the event decided to make modifications so that residents of Mililani could be more involved. “Rarely if ever does (Eat the Street) have any other entertainment. They may have a DJ but here in Mililani, what better way to service our people than to have entertainment of our own kind,” stated Park. “We invited the schools, in hopes that we would get some participation, and we got an enormous amount of participation,” she continued.

Being that upwards of 500 people were present at the event, the music programs of MHS got a fair amount of exposure.  “I think it’s good that (MHS music programs) get as much visibility as we can out in the community so an event like this I think is good exposure and good public relations, to you know, contribute and give back to the community because they always give so much to the high school,” explained Fine Arts teacher Bryan Hirata.

MHS students that attended the event also recognized the performances, “(I thought) the band was really good, they had a lot of enthusiasm and I could hear the music throughout the whole place,” stated Junior Casey Correa who volunteered at the event with the MHS Key Club.

Not only did MHS music programs gain exposure, they also got a chance to practice performance skills in a non-school setting. “It’s… a little bit different to perform for the community and I think the students feel that extra excitement as well, and they can feel it and sense it towards the last couple of rehearsals before today,” stated Hirata.

Extra preparation was involved prior to the performance for the marching band, choir, string ensemble and wind ensemble members. “On top of normal just class practice we also had a series of sectionals to prepare for this just because we wanted to be presentable to the public,” stated String Ensemble member Rachel Brewer.

In the event that Mililani hosts “Eat the Street” for a second time, the MTA plans on asking MHS music programs to perform again.