Taking talent to the next level, MHS students compete in annual Brown Bags to Stardom

By Makanalani Yamanoha
Brown Bags
Junior Aleya Abeshima (pictured) and Sophomore Alexis Jordan Valiente competed in Brown Bags last year, but for the other members of the Academy of Bandits, Freshmen Alex Rambaud and Jordan Inouye, this year was their first time participating in Brown Bags.

On March 1, the stage was set for this year’s annual Brown Bags to Stardom talent show. Senior Misha Rosario, the Kokoke Kaulana Band and the Academy of Bandits dance crew stole this year’s spotlight by taking Best in Vocals, Dance and Band, respectively.

“I was very surprised I won, actually. There is so much talent and I think today it was really showcased,” said Rosario.

Brown Bags to Stardom is an annual event held at MHS to showcase the musical talents of selected contestants. At this year’s competition, 12 students competed for Best in Vocals, Dance and Band. “I think that it is a great opportunity for all talent. We can have comedians and magicians and other kind of categories, however they were less popular, I wish they (had more categories), but the talents that were expressed, students were able to express those talents well,” said Senior Class adviser Carina Morgan. Senior Jayman-Russell Rapanut, a member of Kokoke Kaulana, added, “The competition was intense, everyone had a bunch of talent. I thought we weren’t even going to make (it).”

Like previous years, this year’s turnout of talent and support was more than expected. “It seems that we had a large turnout today, which made money off of the admissions and that was a good contribution, but moreover, we should celebrate the contribution and success of the students,” said Morgan. Even Fine Arts teacher Keane Ishii, who served as one of the judges at Brown Bags, recognized the hidden talents of MHS’ students. “I thought they were very good. I thought all the performances were made to entertain the audiences and I thought they were very musically oriented and for that reason they were very entertaining and very powerful,” said Ishii.

At the competition, Rosario sang a rendition of “Let it Go” by Idina Menzel. On the other hand, Kokoke Kaulana, which included Rapanut along with Seniors Makoa Duhaylonsod, Jacob Low, took first in the Band category. In addition, the Academy of Bandits, with members Junior Aleya Abeshima, Freshmen Alex Rambaud and Jordan Inouye and Sophomore Alexis Jordan Valiente placed first in Dance. For each of the competitors, Brown Bags to Stardom was more than just talent, but hours of practice and dedication. “We were determined to win, but (we) were good friends already.  Practicing together was easy, the work we had to do to perform was hard,” said Rapanut. Rosario added, “I just sang in my room or anywhere. I usually sing at my church and have been doing that since I was 11.”

Rosario, Kokoke Kaulana and the Academy of Bandits are currently preparing for the statewide Brown Bags to Stardom competition which will be held at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel on April 27.