MHS represents, Furuta and Stetser chosen for All-Tournament Team

By Kiana Caranto
(Stephanie de Juan | Na Manao Poina Ole) Sophomore Tia Furuta is one of six sophomores that made this year's Lady Trojan varsity team.
(Stephanie de Juan | Na Manao Poina Ole) Sophomore Tia Furuta is one of six sophomores that made this year’s Lady Trojan varsity team.

MHS’ varsity girls soccer team competed in the Hawaii High School Athletic Association (HHSAA) Soccer Tournament held at Waipio Soccer Complex from Feb. 5 to 8. Offensive teammates Sophomore Tia Furuta and Senior Cassandra Stetser were selected for the All-Tournament Team.

“I’m honored. There are so many good soccer players in Hawaii, I think Hawaii has a lot of really talented people,” said Stetser, “It was a really honorable thing to play with everybody and have a good experience.”

After establishing themselves as one of the best teams in the Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA), the Lady Trojans carried their momentum all the way to the state tournament. The HHSAA tournament staff selected players to be part of the All-Tournament team based on their performance throughout the tournament. Furuta and Stetser were chosen to represent MHS in the All-Tournament Team, which is comprised of the state’s best players.

Furuta and Stetser’s dynamic skills and techniques were the key to their selection. “I’m kind of feisty and I (have) a nose for the goal so I kind of pressure the ball and I like working the ball around the field,” said Stetser.

Another factor that played a key role in the decision to put Stetser on the team is the leadership she exemplified on and off the field. “Well there are only nine of (us) this year and there are more underclassmen than seniors which was something we weren’t really used to so I felt like I had to step up even more to be a role model for everyone else,” said Stetser. Furuta was on the opposite end of the spectrum, this being her first year on varsity, but was able to play at the same level as the older girls despite this. “The good part about that is the seniors treated them as equals and respected them and the sophomores knew that they had to step up and play,” said Head Coach Ray Akiona.

Along with Furuta and Stetser’s stellar performances, MHS’ success would not have been possible without cooperation and determination from the team. “That’s why they were so successful, because they played for each other and they worked hard to earn everything they achieved this year,” said Akiona. Stetser added, “I wanted to make the most of my last year and I just wanted to give it everything I had and leave everything on the field.”

Although Stetser will be graduating this year, Furuta plans to repeat her success next year.