Munoz’s ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ wins first at Shakespeare Competition

By Harlie Bates-Hudgin
Seniors Gabriella Munoz, Marjory Palompo, Jaslyn Loftin and Angelina Ervin had practiced together before the competition.

Senior Gabriella Munoz walked into the library for the annual Shakespeare Competition on Jan. 21 with no idea that her chosen monologue from Act 2, Scene 2 of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” would be her ticket to first place.

The Shakespeare Competition is sponsored by the English Speaking Union of the United States (ESUUS).“(The ESSUS’) mission is to promote the English language in the world today,” said Fine Arts and English teacher Jamie Stroud.

To participate, the students select a Shakespeare monologue piece to perform. The victor is chosen based on their ability to perform in front of an audience and will move on to compete for the national title where they will reenact their chosen monologue as well as a sonnet. “I have one in mind,” said Munoz, “But I haven’t picked one yet.”

Munoz prepared for the competition with a Shakespeare troupe in Honolulu at the Hawaii Theater Young Actors Ensemble, where she and several other students learned from Pookela award-winning actress Eden-Lee Murray. “I had been in touch with her about (the competition) all day, and was there to celebrate with her at rehearsal that night,” recalled Sophomore Erin Gillum, a close friend of Munoz and a member of the Shakespeare troupe.

With graduation in May, Munoz is relieved to have finally won after four years of fighting for the first place title, as she didn’t place at all in her freshman and junior year but she placed second during her sophomore year. “It felt so good, to be honest,” said Munoz, “It just felt really nice to finally win it, since it’s something that I’m so passionate about.”

If Munoz performs well at the state competition on Feb. 15, she will be in contention for a prized trip to New York.