Two heads are better than one: Hirata and Miller share V.P. title

By Nathan Park

Former Vice Principal Jamie Oshiro left MHS because he was called to work at the district level. Since then, the Temporary Assignment Program has added two members to administration. Fine Arts teacher Bryan Hirata and Curriculum Coordinator Robin Miller are sharing the position as temporary vice principles to replace Oshiro. This is Hirata’s second year as a temporary vice principal and is Miller’s first year. They will have their position for at least the semester.

“This is really unusual because we are doing something that, as far as I know, no other school has really tried,” explained vice principal James Petersen. “In over 24 years in the DOE I have not seen a temporary assignment V.P. position shared,” he continued.

The Temporary Assignment Program allows non-administrative staff to hold a position in the front office for a short period of time. “It’s an opportunity before somebody commits to the administrative program which is arduous, because it really does take a lot of commitment,” explained Petersen.

Hirata and Miller applied for the position by sending an informal application to Principal Dr. John Brummel and two vice principals, evaluated their qualifications and interviewed them. After the vice principals discussed which applicants were best for the job, Brummel then made the final decision that Hirata and Miller would share the vice principal position. In addition to their responsibilities as vice principals, they still hold their original positions.

Hirata and Miller had positive motivations to apply for the position. For Miller it was the desire to improve the school.  “I think for me it was going through accreditation process and seeing things that could be better at the school and make improvements in the system. I would like to make our school better. To help our students achieve more,” she explained. Hirata looks forward to the challenge of the assignment. “I like that part of the job where every day is different and unpredictable. I think I enjoy thinking on the top of my head and being on my toes and being prepared for anything,” he said.

Both Miller and Hirata brought new skills and perspectives to administration. Having worked in curriculum, Miller was able to gain certain perspectives that would bring wisdom to the front office. Petersen explained, “One of the big things she brings to this job is the big picture; to be able to look at the whole school and how the parts fit together.” Hirata, having been in the classroom has the ability to relate to students, which is a crucial skill in being a vice principal. “You learn how to communicate with students and after awhile, you create bonds with them. You can read students without them having to say anything,” he explained.

Hirata and Miller’s goals this year are to fulfill the responsibilities of their positions and to determine if they want to take a vice principal position full time.