A test of willpower: Barnes competes as youngest participant in Paradise Cup

By Vivian Fang

Motivated by a drive to stay in shape, Senior James Barnes IV trained to compete as the youngest participant in the Paradise Cup, a bodybuilding competition that took place on Nov. 2 at the Sheraton Waikiki Hotel. The five month process encompassed strict dieting, rigorous exercise and strong familial support.

“It (was) a good challenge, (a) good way to test my willpower,” said Barnes, “I’ve learned how far I can push myself and how much I can accomplish if I just focus on something. Now I know.”

Although Barnes’s family has a history with bodybuilding, this was his first time preparing and competing. “He grew up seeing me compete and powerlift,” said James Barnes IV’s father, James Barnes III, “I showed him some videos and people and he was kinda excited and said he wanted to give it a try, and I would support him and help him however I can.”

The preparation process was as mentally exhausting as it was physically demanding. “If it was easy, everybody would do it. Just having the determination and willpower to make those sacrifices, where you gotta work out instead of going out,” said James Barnes III. James Barnes IV’s trainer, Tina Iha added, “His mind was so strong. Everything I sent him, what to eat, his meals, how to eat it, what to train, when to train, he followed everything.”

The diet cut out nearly all sources of carbohydrates, severely restricting James Barnes IV’s choices. “No lollipops. No chocolate or any candy,” he explained, “It’s a lot of protein, not a lot of carbs and not a lot of sugar, hardly any sugar.” James Barnes III added, “He did really well. Majority of the time, he made his own meals, he was very strict on making all of his meals, not cheating, and really worked hard in the weight room.”

Getting in shape and working out was only half of the process. James Barnes IV also had to attend posing practice every Tuesday and Thursday. “Posing is the hardest thing,” said Iha, “What you do at a gym, all your muscle groups, you gotta know how to show it. If you don’t know how to show it on stage, then all your work went down the drain.”

The competition however, was more of a bonus than a climax, a chance for him to show off his hard work. “I didn’t win, (cause) they pick the top three, and they were all older, like 26-year-old guys, but I still got a lot of (satisfaction),” said James Barnes IV, “When I went up there it was more of a relief to know that this is it. After this, I have all my candy and I have all my chocolates and all of my fried rice all for me to just enjoy.”

The Paradise Cup also brought father and son closer. “The best thing about it, I would say being able to spend more time together and be a bigger part of him through all the training and everything,” expressed James Barnes III, “I couldn’t be there because I had to work but toward the end, the actual contest part of it, just me and my son together, by ourselves, that’s something we’ll have together the rest of our lives.”

Now in post-competition mode, James Barnes IV has gone back to a lighter version of his former diet to maintain his body. Although preoccupied with looming college application pressures, he hopes to train and compete in the Paradise Cup again.