On top of the world. Topolinski retires after 37 years to travel abroad

By Karen Neill

In 1976, MHS welcomed Social Studies teacher John Topolinski, an expert in Hawaiian History, to its faculty. Now after 37 years filled with students, teachers and history, there is only one week left until Topolinski’s retirement.

“I think (Mililani) is a fine school. We have some wonderful kids here and I think that’s what I’m going to miss; is the student contact. And our faculty, we have some excellent faculty members,” said Topolinski.

Looking back, Topolinski cherishes the moments he has created here at MHS. “It was like a close family. (Teacher cookouts and get- togethers) are the things that we don’t necessarily have today because the faculty is so huge, but back in those days it seemed life was (simpler). I’m going to miss that,” shared Topolinski, “(It) was a highlight of my school experiences here.”

With a passion for teaching Hawaiian history, Topolinski impacted each of his students. “Besides the knowledge of Hawaiian history, I think on a bigger scope he teaches you that whatever you pursue in life you should pursue it with passion and just dump your whole soul into it and really love what you are doing,” said Band teacher Curtis Hiyane, who took Topolinski’s classes for four years, “He left with me the legacy of what the teaching profession really is no matter what the subject is.”

Not only has Topolinski left an impression on his students, but also on colleagues who have been working alongside him for years. “I think maybe it’s his antics and personality. You notice he is an out-of-the-box thinker. You notice he’s unique and the man has the power to connect with almost any aspect of the student body,” said Topolinski’s colleague of 25 years and Participation in Democracy teacher Ken Watanabe, “He inspires people.”

After a total of 45 years of teaching, Topolinski will miss teaching his students the most. “I’m going to miss seeing the students get the message of history that I teach. To see them, to see their eyes open up and say, “Wow, Mr. Tops, that is a different perspective,” expressed Topolinski.

After retirement, Topolinski plans to visit his grandchildren in Washington state to relax. Eventually he has plans to continue spreading his passion and knowledge of Hawaiian history. “I plan to travel and publish my research of Hawaiian history and hula and maybe work in the Kupuna Program for the children,” said Topolinski. The Kupuna Program is helps young kids and gives older Hawaiians a chance to teach Hawaiian lessons and culture.

Although Topolinski feels he is ready to retire, MHS will greatly miss such an inspiring teacher who has dedicated over four decades to his students and fellow faculty members.