CTAA and JDRF raise funds for juvenile diabetes

By Jesika Henson
CTAA Walk
(Photo courtesy of Jamie Stroud) At Central Oahu Regional Park, 25 CTAA members, students and adults alike, participated in the walk for juvenile diabetes.

On Nov. 2, MHS’ Central Theater Arts Academy (CTAA) participated in a fundraiser for Type 1 diabetes at the Central Oahu Regional Park, under the leadership of CTAA coordinator Jamie Stroud.

“I feel (that) in a society like today’s where many things are instant gratification, materialistic and self-serving, it was truly special to go out and do something for others just by taking an hour or so out of my own time to walk and spend time with family and friends,” said Sophomore Elizabeth Baker.

This year was the first time that the CTAA participated in the walk for juvenile diabetes. “We’re always so busy trying to raise money for ourselves that we kind of lost sight of other things,” Stroud explained, “It’s Diabetes Awareness Month (in November), it just seemed like a good idea.”

CTAA’s fall play “Steel Magnolias” also coincided with Diabetes Awareness Month. The play revolved around Shelby, a woman with Type 1 diabetes, who chooses to risk her life by having child. “Thirty minutes worth of wonderful is better than a lifetime worth of nothing,” said Stroud. Half of the proceeds earned from the tickets sold for the showings were donated to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. In total they raised $510.

Similarly, the Type 1 diabetes support walk also promoted awareness of the disease. “Type 1 diabetes is not that common, it’s relatively a rare disease,” Stroud said, “(Those) that are connected with that walked because they knew somebody with Type 1 and they wanted to support them.” Baker added, “It was really special to see everyone at the starting line and to see just how many people (Type 1) diabetes affects, (but) it was sad to see that diabetes can affect young children, but it was also inspiring to see the support of (their) family and friends.”

The event’s goal of raising awareness for Type 1 diabetes was achieved within the CTAA’s own membership. “The walk allowed me to learn more about Type 1 diabetes, which made me realize the gravity of the situation for those suffering from it,” said Baker, “It also allowed me to be thankful for the health that I have.”

For some, like Sophomore Naomi Ingram, the walk hit close to home, because her grandmother also had diabetes, although not Type 1. “I just really felt like I was helping out and I’m not really interested in a lot of different things so this is the one thing I can really get into, so I wanted to help out as much as possible,” said Ingram, whose entire family accompanied her on the walk, “They’re very supportive in everything I do, I wanted to go and they just came right along with me.”

Although they walked away from the event with fond memories, the seriousness of the disease was not lost on the participants and left a lasting impression. “I would say that the most memorable part of the walk was the very beginning,” said Baker, “There was one team called ‘Mason’s Buddies’ (and they) had a poster (written) in child’s handwriting. It was bittersweet.”

All members of the CTAA were glad to have been able to participate in the event and leave with such fond memories.