OIA Champions at last. Trojans run past the Govs to earn their second OIA title

By April-Joy McCann
Slot Back and Running Back Senior Dayton Furuta finally got to tackle on the field after sitting out two games due to an injury.
Football 1
Wide Receiver Sophomore Kalakaua Timoteo III celebrates after catching a 24-yard pass for a touchdown by Quarterback Sophomore McKenzie Milton, putting the score at 30-0.

For the Mililani Trojans, the road to victory has been a long and challenging one. But on Nov. 1 the Trojans dominated the Farrington Govs 37-6, winning their second Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) Red championship, but the first one they’ve earned by actually playing and winning the championship game.

“We came out a little short last year (and) my freshman year we won by default. So it was a great feeling to get a well-deserved OIA championship,” said Linebacker and Running Back Senior Dayton Furuta.

In 2010, the Trojans weren’t given the chance to play in the championship because Kahuku used an ineligible player leading to a disqualification giving the Trojans their first OIA title. However, after three years, the Trojans finally got their redemption during the semifinals against Kahuku with a score of 37-22. “It feels good knowing that all the blood, sweat and tears that went into this program (paid off),” expressed Furuta.

The Trojans remained undefeated in the league season and carried their record into the post-season where they faced Farrington for the title. “Farrington played hard, they always play tough,” said Furuta. “All we had to do was execute and do our job and just do our assignment and the win would be ours,” added Slot Back Senior Bronsen Ader.

In the first quarter, the Govs received the kickoff but punted after three unsuccessful attempts for a first down. The Trojans took over and scored their first field goal putting the score at 3-0. Quarterback Sophomore McKenzie Milton ran a 52-yard touchdown leaving the score at 9-0 at the end of the first.

In the second quarter the Govs were able to hold down the Trojans until Running Back and Slot Back Sophomore Vavae Malepeai ran a 3-yard touchdown for a score of 15-0. Milton followed up with a 23-yard touchdown and a 2-point conversion caught by Slot Senior Ian Namu for a score of 23-0 at the half.

In the third quarter Milton made another pass for a touchdown putting the Trojans up 30-0. Furuta, who hadn’t played the last two games due to an injury, made an important play when he scored a touchdown with a 3-yard run in, making their score 37-0 and put the clock in running mode with five minutes left in the quarter. The clock stopped after every play again when Farrington scored their only touchdown off a fumble with five minutes left in the fourth quarter.

Despite Farrington’s attempts, the Trojans ruled the field and came out victorious.”We just outplayed them, outsmarted them, out powered them,” expressed Ader.

The success of the players could not have happened without the help of their supporters. “I just want to thank the whole faculty, the student body, the fans and the parents. Just for every single Mililani Trojan that came from 1973 to present and the future because we build on it,” said Head Coach Roderick York.

The team believes that their success was due to their unity. “The whole team, we all play as brothers, we all play as one, nobody plays as an individual on this team. It’s the whole team together,” said Ader.

With an appropriately earned OIA title in the books, the Trojans prepare for what’s ahead: the state championship. “We want to win it, but we have to get there first,” said York. Ader added, “We just got to do the same thing, go every week practice, every day step by step, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, work hard for all the little things.”

As Furuta puts it, “We’re going for the gold.”