Bumping out the competition, girls varsity volleyball, undefeated OIA champions

By Jacob Chang
Volleyball
After transferring from Hanalani, Middle Hitter and Blocker Senior Sarah Liva is one of Mililani’s top scorers.

After winning three consecutive sets of 25-22, 25-20 and 25-16, the varsity girls volleyball team took home the Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) title over Moanalua High School on Oct. 23 at the McKinley High School gymnasium. This victory marks the second time that the Lady Trojans have won the OIA title, the first time being in 2011 in a match against Kahuku High School.

“We started strong, we played strong and we finished strong. And even though we were down a couple points we still encouraged each other and came together,” said Middle Hitter and Blocker Senior Sarah Liva.

The girls are also only the second OIA team in ten years to run through the season undefeated. “We only dropped one set (in our match against) Kahuku, and I think it’s pretty good knowing that we can push through and get stuff done,” said Outside Hitter and Setter Senior Jordyn Keamo.

Despite Kahuku High School’s impressive performance during the season, it was Na Menehune of Moanalua High School who emerged victorious during the playoffs to claim a spot against Mililani in the championship match. “(Moanalua) definitely came out with a bang. I think they did really well but I think we wanted it more and we got it,” said Liva. Outside Hitter Senior Ashlee Vaoifi added, “I never thought that I was ever going to experience this, (being) OIA champs and now being here and just being able to win it. It was a great experience for me and the whole team as well and do it as a family.”

Despite their dedication and drive, the girls feel that they couldn’t have made it this far without the help of their coaches and each other. “The coaches helped us pull together and everyone, the whole team (stuck) together,” said Liva, “We never got down on each other. We were always playing as one (and) when one person (went) down, everyone (helped) pick them back up and then we (finished) strong.”

The Lady Trojans’ performance against Moanalua also showed them what improvements they needed to make for the Hawaii High School Athletic Association (HHSAA) State Championships. “We need to talk more, both on and off the court and the bench,” said Keamo. Liva added, “We’ve been working on different offenses and defenses (to help) prepare us for (Interscholastic League of Honolulu) teams and different islands (so) we understand the players. They’ll definitely have higher caliber than a lot of the teams that we’ve played already.”

After participating in the HHSAA State Championships held on Oct. 29 to Nov. 1, Mililani’s season is over. After their matches against Aiea, Punahou and Moanalua, the girls placed third in the state.