Bowling team places second in OIAs and first in individuals

By Janelle Lau
(Lydia Strickland - Na Manao Poina Ole) Senior Danielle August won first place at the OIA bowling championship on Oct. 17 at Kaneohe Bay.
(Lydia Strickland – Na Manao Poina Ole) Senior Danielle August won first place at the OIA bowling championship on Oct. 17 at Kaneohe Bay.

From an uncertain start to an excellent finish, the MHS bowling team took second place in the Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) championship and Senior Danielle August took first place in the individual division.

Despite having won the OIAs three times previously, August had doubts. “Going in I was actually kind of nervous because I was kind of afraid that people would be looking at me and thinking, just kind of expecting me to do really good, and after the first set I was really discouraged because I was like 16th, I think, and then as the second match, or second round came that’s when I kind of got my edge back, figured out what I was doing,” she said.

August, who was trailing the leader by 192 pins after the first three games, managed to come back and win the game to get the title. “This tournament was kind of like a reassurance to know that I was able to do it and it just wasn’t by luck or by chance,” said August.

However, August wasn’t the only one facing obstacles. For the first three games, a lot of the team members struggled, causing them to fall behind. Fortunately by the second set the team got back on track. Though they chased Moanalua for a little bit, they managed to pull ahead and win second place. “That kind of never give up attitude and always fighting. I was most proud of that,” said Head Coach Corey Zukeran.

Although the opponents were tough, the team was prepared. “Pearl City has a tough game and Moanalua won the east, but we knew that if we could stay close, keep the ball in play and make our spares, that we’d be in good shape,” said Zukeran.

The team’s strong bond and great camaraderie with each other helped them pull through. “We’re all really close, everyone acts like a family when we’re all together. Even when we’re at practices, at games, everyone supports each other,” said Sophomore Karli Shidaki who placed seventh in the OIA championship.

The team continues to practice and prepare for the many challenges that will come their way.