New and Blue: Volleyball coach Okuma already helps develop team chemistry

By: Cyanne Ito

Originally, the new Blue Volleyball Head Coach Nathan Okuma played basketball.  He became interested in volleyball while being around Hawaii Pacific University’s (HPU) volleyball team in 2004. With the resignation of last year’s coach Lee Feilds, Okuma has taken to his role with an open mind.

“Every coach has their different styles and I’m always open to learning different ways because certain ways aren’t always the correct way,” said Okuma. He has coached for Tita Ahuna’s Volleyball Academy (TAVA) before, and feels positively about the MHS team this year. “We have a great bunch of ladies who work hard every practice and are very focused during our games,” he remarked.

Okuma was asked to coach the Blue team by Head Volleyball Coach Val Crabbe, whom he is in a volleyball club with. “I guess it was nice if (Crabbe) worked with somebody she knows instead of the athletics director having to go out and interview people (for the position),” said Okuma, who has been coaching volleyball for four years now.

Though Okuma is still new, the players have already taken a liking to him. “He seemed really nice so I thought he was going to be a passive kind of coach,” admitted Senior Heather Higashi, “But he’s not too passive; he puts his foot down.” Higashi is a Blue returnee, and has played for JV for two years. “(At first) he was really quiet and he seemed fairly new to being a head coach,” said Junior Samantha Larita, who has played volleyball for four years for Aiea and Mililani Volleyball Clubs and for MHS’ JV team last year.

“I really like (Okuma), he pushes us to our limits and he gives us a lot of advice on how to become a better player in our set position,” said Higashi. “He’s a really good coach, I just think he needs to get a little more comfortable with being the head coach,” said Larita.

Along with values of friendship, attitude and team chemistry Okuma believes that one of the most important things that volleyball teaches is mental toughness. “Because volleyball is 90% mental, (it is) the most important (aspect) in volleyball,” said Okuma.

Okuma’s goal this year is to help the Blue team win the OIA championship.