Victory, Aloha Aina and FYT clubs bring variety to student body

By Janelle Lau

This year, MHS has three new clubs, Victory Club, also known as Grace Group, FYT (Film YouTube Television) and Aloha Aina. Each club brings a unique aspect to MHS, offerring students an opportunity to contribute to the school.

“As times and people change, (new clubs) give students new outlets to express things that they’re interested in or ideas that they want to pursue. So having new clubs allows the flexibility and the ability to accommodate students over time,” said ASMHS adviser Danielle Castro.

Aloha Aina’s main goal is land and environmental restoration. “We’re just a bunch of hardworking people that see a goal and believe that restoration is number one and foremost,” said club adviser Kekoa Wong. The group will be helping with campus beautification. “Prepare to get dirty,” said Junior Kehaulani Pakani, a member of Aloha Aina.

FYT is a broader and newer version of Screen Raiders (last year’s media club). “The club’s goals for this year is first of all to grow as a club through membership and once we are established as a club, to become the go-to source as far as what’s playing in the movies, what’s streaming in YouTube and also what’s popular now on TV,” said club adviser Maricar Kawasaki.

Junior Caitlyn Amii, president and creator of FYT is excited to get things rolling. “Well, there’s not really any clubs here that actually surround the entertainment world, and we’re focused (on) movies, TV shows and YouTube videos,” said Amii.

Victory Club was formed by the student desires to make it an official club. For several years, Victory Club has met on and off campus. Fighting to become official, they were granted approval this year. “(Victory Club and Fellowship Club) are very similar and that was one big question they got a lot at the club fair and as I was listening to them talk to the students, they were just saying we want to become more like a Bible study group,” said club adviser Genevieve Matsumura.

These clubs allow students to be themselves. “I’m just surrounded by a bunch of people that I enjoy and it’s a really good environment,” said Senior Kathrina Neri, secretary of Victory Club.

With the creation of new clubs, many club members and advisers encourage students to come check them out.