Former assistant coach, new softball head coach

By Reagan Paz
Softball
(Reagan Paz Trojan Times) At softball practice, Head Coach Melissa-Ann Lehano-Iosefa (far left) drills each player for their position. For example, she trains mid-fielders to catch the ball from various directions and heights.

MHS Alumna Melissa-Ann Lehano-Iosefa, the former softball assistant coach will be the new head coach for MHS JV and Varsity softball. Since softball provided her with a full ride to college, Iosefa hopes she can coach her players in the same direction.

“Where softball’s taken me, I want to see it in other girls. I want that legacy to continue, especially with Mililani softball,” Iosefa said.

One of the main goals Iosefa has is to drill in the idea of practice and more practice. “I just want to keep everything consistent, make sure everything is the same whether it’s goals, discipline, everything. I just want to make sure it’s the same rather than, ‘it’s okay this time,’ or ‘oh, maybe next time,’” she explained.

After she graduated from college at Brigham Young University Hawaii, she helped coach softball there, then moved to coach the Mililani community and then came to MHS as an assistant coach for three years.

This year’s players feel that Iosefa is different from any of their previous coaches. “She pushes us way harder and she pushes us a lot and she expects a little more,” said Freshman Markie Okamoto. Sophomore Brooke Yasuda added, “She’s very disciplined. She makes girls work harder than they probably would.”

Likewise, Iosefa sees this season’s group of players as different from any other she’s coached before. For example, when players for certain positions are absent, other players can take their place. “They just want to play. They’ll do whatever it takes to get to the next level whether it’s varsity or college. Their goals are extremely high,” she said, “They all build off of each other. So whatever we missed that they do have somebody else fills in for them. So their strengths are just picking up where each player leaves off.” As a coach, Iosefa also pushes her players to not only work hard but also to be responsible. “I really stress responsibility,” she said, “Rather than just running them all day, I want them to take responsibility for what they’re not doing or what they should be doing.”

Overall, the players have been enjoying a good season thus far with their new coach. Yasuda said, “I hope that we come to championships again and win and for everyone to come closer in a bond.” Okamoto added, “She’s fun, she helps us with a lot of things and she’s a good coach.”

With a new team and a new coach, the girls and Iosefa hope to meet, or even top their previous successes at the OIA tournament.