Kelly and Quevedo: leaving their print on journalism

By Jenny Park

After two years of hard work and dedication, Caitlin Kelly (above, right) and Danica Quevedo (below, left) take on more responsibilities with their new title of editors-in-chief.

Starting off as rookies in their sophomore year, Seniors Caitlin Kelly and Danica Quevedo have come a long way. They have been selected to be this year’s editors-in-chief for the Trojan Times and Na Mana o Poina Ole publications.

“It’s exciting to hold this position because it’s a huge challenge and I have the opportunity to use what I’ve learned in my past two years here,” said Kelly.

The Trojan Times staff undergoes a mock issue competition where candidates for the editor positions show their knowledge and skill by making their own version of an issue of the newspaper. Through this process, the candidates show what they can really do and what they can produce as a final product. Trojan Times Assistant Editor Shan Yonamine explained, “Nobody is just handed their position, you know? We all have to work for it. You really don’t know what it’s like to be editor until … you know all the stress.”

Quevedo was chosen for her position in a different manner. “(Journalism Adviser Christopher) Sato just chooses based on ability and I think Danica was a good candidate because she’s always very dedicated and she’s a very skilled photographer and designer,” said Yonamine.

As the editor-in-chief for the Trojan Times, Kelly has many responsibilities including finding sources for various news stories, making sure that the staff is on task and many other jobs given to her throughout the week. Kelly also works on the Trojan Times online site with other staff members.

“There’s lots of things to take care of, but just to have the online up and running I think would definitely make us look more professional because that’s what publications like the Star Advertiser are doing. And just to have everyone get along as a staff and become friends, open up to each other (would be my goal),” stated Kelly.

Quevedo’s responsibilities include overseeing the Na Mana o Poina Ole staff, which include thinking of a new design for the yearbook, helping her staff take pictures and cover events and running errands that are asked of her. Both Kelly and Quevedo have many responsibilities beyond those that are listed.

Quevedo’s goals include making her mark on the yearbook. “I want to change up the look of the yearbook. Like I want to diverge from the old … (and) the traditional. I wanna make it a new, fresh look so that everything’s different,” Quevedo said.

Kelly and Quevedo keep these goals in mind as they manage their staff. They acknowledge that every member of the staff has a part in the pair’s goal of taking each publication to the next level and that each role is essential to reaching it.

With their own personal growth and experience, Kelly and Quevedo’s dispositions and habits as well their abilities have gotten them to where they are today.