Juniors Goya and Robles: 2011-2012 drum majors

By Jacquelyn Perreira
(L-R) Juniors Kailee Goya and Keanu Robles conduct the marching band during practices that often span to 8 p.m. or later. Both have been a part of the marching band since their freshman year.

Typically for the MHS band, one or two male seniors are chosen every year to be the drum major. This year, a rarity occurred when Juniors Kailee Goya and Keanu Robles were chosen to fill the spot. Despite this unusual circumstance, the pair has embraced their leadership roles and the responsibilities that have come with it.

“It’s definitely an honor since the marching band hasn’t had a female drum major for quite some time. As for being a junior, I feel like at times I don’t have enough experience but I definitely try my best to lead the band to the best of my ability,” expressed Goya.

Goya decided to audition after being encouraged by others in her freshman year. “One of my upperclassman friends told me that the directors might have an eye on me or that I was doing well so that I should try out and then last year the old drum majors kind of encouraged me to try out,” she explained.

Robles wanted the position ever since the seventh grade, when his older brother became a drum major. “(It) looked like something that I would want to do, so I just went for it,” he said.

The audition process was one of rigor. The candidates were required to learn patterns, pass a tempo test, conduct to a song of their choice as a reflection of their personal style and undergo an interview with one of the band directors

Being only sophomores at the time, auditioning seemed to be a daunting task. “It was really nerve-wracking because there (were) five good people trying out, and we had to audition in front of the band directors and the former drum majors,” said Robles

Goya and Robles’ courage to audition was recognized by their director.  “Being that both of them are new, I think one of their strengths is they’re willing to take a risk and just go out there and not be afraid because it’s their first year as drum majors; not be afraid to make mistakes,” said Fine Arts teacher Derek Ka apana.

Going from band members to band leaders, the pair’s responsibilities have greatly increased. Before rehearsal, they make sure that everyone is prepared to get to the practice site, transport the teaching equipment and do things like prepare the band for conditioning or even condition the band themselves if one of the directors has not yet arrived.

During rehearsal, they are on the conducting podium and lead the practices while the directors direct the practices. Aside from the technical aspects, they also provide moral support for the band. “Their main important thing during practices is to keep the band motivated, keep the band focused, and just to make sure that we have an efficient rehearsal all the time,” explained Ka apana.

Even though much is required of them, both Goya and Robles enjoy their positions. “I like working with people (and) now I get to work with the whole band, so I think that’s fun because I do get to know the kids, which I think, it’s important, because if you don’t, then you’re not going to have that relationship and then that connection between you and the band isn’t going to be received well,” expressed Goya. “It feels kind of cool being in a leadership-type position,” added Robles.

Both Goya and Robles plan to audition for the drum major position for their senior year.