A commitment to education, Sawada retires after 40 years of service to MHS

By Shan Yonamine

Sawada has been remembered by past and present generation of students as being an excellent teacher and rock expert.Having been with MHS since its founding in 1973, Math teacher Edward Sawada has decided to retire after 40 years of dedicated service as a teacher, coach and adviser to MHS’ students. He was recognized for his commitment on April 24 at John Kauinana Stadium, where he received an award on behalf of the Mililani delegation.

“This award is presented by both the senators and the State House of Representatives just honoring him for all of his work that he’s done for not just Mililani but for the state of Hawaii and for educating our youth here. So on behalf of the entire Mililani delegation we’re presenting this award to Mr. Sawada for all of his accomplishments,” explained Alumna and current Representative Lauren Cheape, who was a Geometry student of Sawada’s in her freshman year. “(He has) just a phenomenal amount of commitment to educating young people,” she continued.
Sawada’s teaching career was sparked in 1963 when his high school counselor noticed his knack for math and suggested he become a teacher. After that, he began his career in education at Wheeler Intermediate though his desire to teach higher-level math led to his transfer to MHS for its founding.
“(Working at MHS is) something that I did for 40 something years you know and I guess it became a habit of mine just showing up, you know,” explained Sawada, who continues to follow habits he developed 40 years ago, “And even if I retire I’ll still be part of this school.”
One such habit had to do with the time he allocated towards aiding his students. “Because I coached and coaching took part in the afternoon, I would come early in the morning to help the kids that needed help, because in the afternoons I used to run around with my kids, so to this day I continue to come in early in the morning,” he explained.

Along with teaching and coaching, Sawada also took up other responsibilities within the school, such as advising both the National Honor Society (NHS) and Gopher Club, a service club that promoted volunteerism in students. “He is a mentor to new teachers and inspiration to his peers. He promotes positive values. He has wisdom about the community, school and education,” explained Student Activities Coordinator Janet Ward-Riehle, former Gopher Club, NHS and track team member.
Cheape echoed this sentiment saying, “I think what he contributes is with the amount of time that he’s been here that wisdom and experience and being able to see what Mililani High School was in the beginning and what it has grown to be, and I think he has all of that wisdom to impart to a lot of the other teachers as well as the students.”

Though he became deeply involved in extracurricular activities, Sawada’s intentions at MHS were simple. “Whatever happened, happened. I just stayed here and I’d tend to enjoy what I was doing so I just stayed. I wanted to build a good school and I think we did build a pretty good school here,” he explained.
In striving for this goal, he has touched the lives of his students, such as Brigadier General Alumnus  Braden Sakai. “As they say, it takes a village to raise a child. (Sawada) was critical in my life as he would bring things to my attention in a non-threatening way which allowed me to make better choices as I grew up. He was critical in where I am today,” Sakai explained.

After having worn many hats at MHS, in his retirement Sawada looks forward to attending his son’s wedding in August and spending more time with his granddaughter.

View Comments (1)