MHS earns title of best in show at state science fair

By Timothy Leoncio

The scientific endeavors of MHS students led to the top prize at the annual Hawaii State Science and Engineering Fair held from April 7 to 9 at the Hawaii Convention Center. First place overall, multiple best in categories and $50,000 worth of scholarships to Hawaii Pacific University were among the various students’ winnings, along with other awards and prizes.

“I was very honored,” stated Junior Viola Mocz, who won first place overall, Best Public School Senior Research Project and Best in Category for Physics and Astronomy with her project on theoretical particle physics. “I wasn’t quite expecting such a big award.” Other students were astonished as well. “I was actually very surprised,” said Sophomore Brandon Kinard, who won Best in Category for Electrical and Mechanical Engineering with his project on low-cost navigational aid for the visually impaired, “But apparently the judges liked it. It was just shocking, I’m still surprised that I qualified.”

The luncheon awards ceremony was held in honor of the competitors and their work. “The state science fair went very well,”said Central Oahu District Fair Coordinator Nel Venzon, “In a way, things were fancier because the students had the opportunity to have some kind of luncheon during the awards ceremony.”

The various judges had conversed with the students the day before and evaluated them based on how they were able to explain their project. “Meeting the judges who actually took interest in my project was really nice,” said Kinard, “Being around people who actually understood the topic more, and could ask more engaging questions and actually make suggestions for improvements was one of the better things.”

The event was also an opportunity for students to forge bonds and collaborate ideas. “(I enjoyed) meeting with other motivated students because at these types of places, you can form lifelong friendships thatíll last even when you go to college because eventually these people will eventually be your colleagues,” said Mocz.

Much of the work for the students and teachers, however, was done beforehand. “Putting together my presentation itself was difficult and making sure my board could convey everything in a nice succinct way,” said Mocz, “It also required me to research into more advanced mathematic topics such as topology and numerical integration.”

Mocz and Kinard along with Seniors Marc Siler and Danielle Terukina will continue that same work as they move on to compete in the International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) at Phoenix, Ariz., in May. In order to qualify for ISEF, students must place in the top three at districts, or top overall at the state competition. Mocz, Siler and Terukina were given the chance to go to ISEF based on their performance at the district fair, while Kinard received his opportunity through the state fair. “Students who move on to ISEF, even just to compete, you’re already a winner,” said Venzon, “You don’t even need to win anymore because it’s such a prestigious event.”

The students hope to continue their scientific success at ISEF with the support and guidance they need and to represent the spirit of innovation that the science program works hard to instill.