Continuing a musical legacy, Brewer and Kim teach orchestra to Ike elementary students

By Shan Yonamine
Photo courtesy of Senior Rachel Brewer
Brewer and Kim teach both beginning and advanced level orchestra classes where they inform students on proper skills and techniques while also garnering an appreciation for music.

Though this will be the last year that Seniors Rachel Brewer and Carissa Kim perform in MHS’ orchestra, they have perpetuated their musical legacy by giving weekly lessons to both beginning and advanced Mililani Ike Elementary orchestra students since September of 2012.

“It’s great to make an impact on someone’s life and this foundation that we’re providing has the potential to affect them for years and years to come,” explained Brewer, a cellist who was once an orchestra student at Mililani Ike, “I was once in their seats seven years ago, eager to delve into the alluring world of music and if I hadn’t started playing strings I don’t know what I’d be doing with myself.”

The need for the girls’ instruction arose when Mililani Ike’s orchestra teacher moved off-island and a replacement could not be found. “I approached Carissa and Rachel ‘cause I thought they were the two best suited to do the job; they have the personality and they know how to work with the children and also the skills you know, that are required to teach,”  said Fine Arts teacher Brian Hirata.

Since being offered the positions, Brewer and Kim have worked together with Hirata to plan lessons to teach the students. “We are focused on providing a musical foundation for the little ones and teach them staff reading, rhythms and note values and just how to enjoy music. For the upper group we focus on challenging their skills and honing them, giving them experience with real pieces that aren’t exceedingly difficult but just enough to improve their skill,” explained Brewer.

Though Hirata accompanied them to the lessons in the beginning, Brewer and Kim have been teaching independently since the beginning of second semester.
“(Hirata), in the beginning, helped us prepare for our classes by telling us strategies to use while teaching them since he knows certain ways to teach string instruments that are interactive and fun,” stated Kim, who has played the viola for seven years.

Volunteering proved to be a valuable experience for both Kim and Brewer. “If there is anything that I enjoy the most, it is when the shyest child comes up after class and asks a question about how to play something then returns to rehearsal the next week and is able to play that part perfectly. It just makes me so happy to see them step out of their shell and devote themselves to learning their parts,” said Brewer.

Kim echoed this sentiment saying, “I think that the most rewarding part about volunteering is teaching these kids a very valuable skill. Music is a talent that not everyone possesses and it is a huge step towards making new friends and new experiences.”
The Mililani Ike’s orchestra students delivered their final performance last Thursday, April 25. Both Brewer and Kim hope to have sparked lifetime interests in music in all of them.