Takemoto wins MHS Teacher of the Year Award

By Kiana Caranto
Industrial Arts teacher Kory Takemoto has twin daughters and occasionally finds time to help out with their soccer team.

Industrial Arts teacher Kory Takemoto has been a part of MHS since 2005, contributing to the school in many ways both in and out of the classroom. He was formally recognized for his efforts by earning this year’s MHS Teacher of the Year award. Although he was surprised when he found out he was the winner, he views this achievement as an accomplishment.

“Any time you get recognized for anything it’s satisfying, you know. I mean it was really unexpected,” explained Takemoto.

The Teacher of the Year award is a local recognition determined by the school’s faculty whose nominations and votes decide the winner. A teacher that displays quality efforts, both while teaching and outside of school, is selected for the award and each school in the district chooses their own winner. “If I had to pick anybody to get this award, I would definitely say that he more than deserves this,” said part-time Industrial Arts teacher and close friend Blaise Hanagami, who teaches in the same classroom as Takemoto.

Despite his initial shy persona, Takemoto’s colleagues agree that he gets along with his students very well. “He interacts with his students. He jokes around with them, he’s able to bond with them personally,” stated Hanagami, “He’ll judge you in terms of what you do and he wonít play favorites and stuff. He judges on a very fair basis.”

Along with teaching, Takemoto also acts as MHS’ full-time technology coordinator; spending time caring for the schoolís computers takes away from his time in the classroom. “I teach as well as I take care of the computers. Until I (became MHS’ technology coordinator) I don’t think anybody, not many people knew me.” said Takemoto. Hanagami added, “How he does (both jobs) I have no idea, it’s almost as if there’s probably two of him somewhere.”

Because he spends so much time around computers, Takemoto has a vast knowledge of technology. “I can honestly say, even though I’m his friend, that he’s probably the best computer networking and computer repair teacher in the state and that includes college level,” explained Industrial Arts teacher and close friend Tom Falenofoa.

On top of multiple jobs, Takemoto also manages to fit family time into his hectic schedule. “I have twin girls so I don’t really have much free time. Go to work, take care of my daughters,” said Takemoto. “He cares very, very much for his family and all his friends. He just always tries to do the right thing,” stated Falenofoa.

Even though his job comes with a lot of hard work, Takemoto loves coming to school every day. “I always tell my students, ‘Find something that you enjoy doing,’ and that’s what I do,” said Takemoto, “I think what makes it enjoyable to me is just the people that I work with.”

This achievement ended Takemoto’s school year on a high note and he looks forward to being a teacher for a long time to come.