From the ground up, Nitta spends 40 years establishing MHS athletics

By Shan Yonamine

From the beginning, Athletic Director and former coach Glenn Nitta has helped set the foundation for MHS’ athletic program, witnessing its evolution from its beginnings to the success it has become today.

“From birth to adulthood I’ve been with the program, you know, I’ve been with the school, I’ve seen the community just grow so much,” explained Nitta, who worked as assistant athletic director with his predecessor, the late John Kauinana, to set the standards for MHS’ athletic program.

“It was fun, you know, because it was the start of a new program,” he recalled, “I didn’t have to follow anybody, I had to start and instill whatever my philosophies and my beliefs were, you know. I didn’t have to try and follow anybody else’s footsteps.”

The development didn’t come without obstacles. When it was established, MHS had virtually no facilities or equipment with limited money allocated from the state. The main challenge, however, was starting up and getting students involved. “The school was new so they entered to the league being a new school, so just getting the athletes out, trying to sell them the program was really hard,” Nitta explained.

Though he acted as one of the athletic program’s pioneers, Nitta attributes much of the program’s success to Kauinana. “The things that Mr. Kauinana had done to get the kids to be proud of where they are as far as that they’re playing, he was really successful and I’m just trying to carry on whatever he’s done. He set the tone for everything; I’m just doing, carrying on what I feel that he would want,” stated Nitta.

It was only after Kauinana’s retirement that Nitta accepted the position of athletic director. However, the transition was not without difficulty, as it required Nitta to resign from his 48-year career of coaching baseball, which began even before his time at MHS. “It was a very emotional year for us,” explained Gaile Nitta, Glenn Nitta’s wife and attendance office administrator. “That was a moment for me to just say, ‘OK I’ve got to let go,’” stated Glenn Nitta.

However challenging the start of the program and the transition into being athletic director was, Glenn Nitta always carried with him a positive attitude. “There’s some bad memories but I don’t dwell on it, I just put it past me and then we just move on,” he explained.

It is this attitude, from the beginning that allowed Glenn Nitta to become the successful athletic director he is today. “I think him being a true Mililani Trojan is what stands out to me, that the program has become what he wanted it to be because he lives it,” explained Assistant Athletic Director and Alumnus James Millwood, who followed Glenn Nitta through his career from acting as ball boy for the football team to being a member while Glenn Nitta coached to his current position, “He’s for the students and he, as far as you know for the sports, he wants them to achieve, be the best that they can be.”

Gaile Nitta echoed his sentiment saying, “He contributes his patience, he works well with people and is always trying to make the situation a win-win.”

Now, in his 40th year at MHS, the athletic program has grown to be one that other schools look up to. “It’s just amazing what we’ve accomplished, the championships we’ve won. We’re in playoffs every year, all our teams go to state tournaments, it’s something that all the schools, other schools want to seek for,” stated Glenn Nitta. Millwood added, “The program was strong but I think it’s even stronger now.”

The accomplishments of the program are not what drive Glenn Nitta, he only hopes for the best for his students and that they will continue their lives without forgetting the traditions upon which the program was built.