Obama speaks to Israel, peace possible in Israel, peace possible in America

tim editorial
By Nathan Park

For over three decades Israelis and Palestinians have disputed over territorial rights and are actively seeking a non-violent resolution.  On March 21, President Barack Obama shifted the paradigm that peace is not in the hands of politicians, but in the hands of young people. During his speech in Jerusalem, Obama empowered and challenged Israeli students to instigate cultural reform that will end bitter feelings towards Palestinians.

‘Political leaders will not take risks if the people do not push them to take risk. You must create the change you want to see. Ordinary people can accomplish extraordinary things,’ Obama stated. Though the conflict is complex and primarily involves religious and political differences, the racial tension between the Jews and the Muslims make it relatable to the racial conflict in America.

If the president of the United States of America believes Israeli students can stop a war, then what keeps American students from ending racism?

Israel may seem to be on the other side of the world, but its issues of racial tension are still very prevalent in the United States of America. Though legislation has long been passed to prevent discrimination in schools and the workplace, racial violence still occurs. Even as old prejudices decline, new ones arise from the hurt of the past, creating a never ending cycle of hate.

This is the story of races around the nation; a war where one vengeful transgression leads to another. The same thing is happening between the Israelis and Palestinians, except on a much larger scale, where an Israeli occupation leads to a missile strike from Gaza. According to Obama, the only way to end this cycle of violence is for the citizens to have understanding for each other. “That’s where peace begins, not just in the plans of leaders, but in the hearts of people; not just in some carefully designed process, but in the daily connections, that sense of empathy,” explained Obama. No amount of negotiation between the governments of the two races will resolve the conflict if the people continue to bicker. The same is true here in America; no amount of legislation will end racial violence if prejudiced attitudes do not change. As young people, America’s newer generations have a chance to change the status quo by creating a culture of peace, not vengeance.

So how does a new generation that has lived less than two decades erase the hate that has existed for centuries? It is through empathy. If people put aside their anger for a minute and try to see the world through the other races’ eyes they would see how much they all have in common. In his speech Obama points out how similar Israeli children are to Palestinian children and even his own. “I honestly believe that if any Israeli parent sat down with those kids, they’d say, ‘I want these kids to succeed. I want them to prosper. I want them to have opportunities just like my kids do.’ I believe that’s what Israeli parents would want for these kids if they had a chance to listen to them and talk to them,” he said. With empathy, people of different races will not see each other as enemies, but fellow human beings.

Ending racism will not happen overnight and many people have become exasperated by the endless cycles of violence. However, humanity has come a long way in establishing lasting peace and it is still attainable. Young people have to realize how much influence they have over culture and must never cease to keep striving for peace, no matter how much opposition they face. “Your voices must be louder than those who would drown them out. Your hopes must light the way forward,” stated Obama.

Time is zipping by and soon we as students will inherit this country and it will be up to us to lead it. Just as the young Israelis are the foundation of Israel, we are the foundation of America and it is up to us to decide whether or not our children will inherit racial violence.