MHS Orchestra performs at 8th annual OIA Foundation Dinner

By Reagan Paz
(Photo coutresy of Senior Lavender Noel Oyadomari) (L-R): Seniors Erin Ohira, Jodi Saito, Lavender Noel Oyadomari and Magdelene Holloway, Junior April-Joy McCann. All pictured students are part of orchestra’s viola section.

MHS’ Orchestra got a unique experience when they were asked to perform at the Oahu Interscholastic Association Foundation Dinner held on March 21 at the Sheraton Waikiki Hotel. Set in a different environment from their normal concerts, the dinner proved to be a major learning experience for them.

“It gave me a chance to play at something other than a school event or concert; it was a new experience,” said violinist Senior Lavender Noel Oyadomari. “It’s nice to play gigs outside of our normal concerts and whatnot so it’s a different environment and it’s definitely a different experience,” cellist Senior Rachel Brewer added.

The dinner honors athletic directors from public schools around Oahu that helped establish the foundation to provide for schools in need. MHS’ Orchestra has been invited three times to perform at the event of the eight times it has been held. This year, they played a total of 12 selections, providing an opportunity to explore different genres. “Within the selection we had some classical pieces, some Broadway pieces, some pop pieces, so I think it exposes the students to different types of repertoire,” explained conductor Curtis Hiyane. Brewer added, “It definitely broadened our range in terms of the types of music we’re able to play because different types of pieces have different feels and we have to learn to play with different emotion.”

MHS is the only school that played at this year’s dinner. “Being the only school, it definitely shows that we’re blessed with a lot of great opportunities to just do different things that other schools may not be able to,” Brewer expressed. Hiyane added, “It’s an honor to provide the entertainment in aspect that some of the other schools may not have the opportunity.”

Not only was the foundation dinner a learning experience, it was something the students enjoyed. “I think my favorite part was spending some time with my friends outside of school without all the stress of a concert,” said Oyadomori. Brewer added, “I definitely do like being able to share our music to people who normally don’t normally listen to or have an appreciation for classical music but still getting a good response from them, I think it’s really rewarding to see people smile and cheer for us.”

For Hiyane, what was most rewarding about the concert was hearing the students play. “There’s something special and something different about rehearsing the music in the orchestra room and then performing the same music in front of the audience, there’s a little bit more energy, there’s the connection with the audience,” he expressed.

The orchestra hopes to be invited to perform at the dinner in years to come.