Transition to college athletics: physical and mental challenge

By: Caitlin Kelly

Check out these related stories:

Tanuvasa: from high school athlete to NFL star

Senas: from high school athlete to NCAA champion

tumblr blog: Athletics versus academics

Athletes at the top of their game at the high school level may find themselves full of anxiety as they prepare to take the next step up: college athletics. However, getting over the fear of playing may weigh more heavily than the physical demands.

“I was nervous and excited at the same time (about college athletics) because I’m attending a D1 water polo school so I wasn’t sure if I was going to be good enough,” said Colorado State University Freshman Alexzandrea Daley, a 2011 graduate of Mililani High School. Daley was a standout player throughout her four years on the water polo team in high school, even going on to earn a spot on the 2011 Girl’s Water Polo All-State Tournament Team.

Even for top high school athletes, the transition into college can be a challenging one. “When we got to camp, it was pretty tough mentally because the day was so long and I’m playing against guys that are like 23 or 24, they’re grown men,” said UH Freshman Cornerback Jaloni Williams, who also lettered in basketball, baseball and track in high school. Daley agreed, saying, “I’m not used to working out as hard as they do so that’s an adjustment. And I’m not used to running either and we do a lot of running here.”

However, an even larger obstacle can be beginning to play in the first place. “If I had to give advice to high school athletes I would say to just try to play in college. Because a lot of the time you just have to work hard in college and you’ll be able to make it,” said Daley. “Naturally they are going to be a little nervous in the transition, but if you have a good attitude then everything will be alright,” said Williams.

Getting over the fear of participating can lead to numerous benefits for athletes.  “I come from a big family so I knew that if I wanted to go to college, I’d had to get some form of scholarship because it would financially straining on my parents. And I figured the best way to do that would be to continue my sport and get myself more out there,” said UH Senior Emma MacCorquodale, a hammer thrower from Vancouver who has consistently qualified for the NCAA West Preliminary Round.

Athletics will also be a gateway into college for Mililani High School Senior linebacker Jonathan Makaiau. He hopes to continue playing football at UH or Stanford. “I’m excited about (college athletics) because football is going to give me the opportunity to get a good education.”

Taking the leap to college athletics from high school can be a daunting challenge, but getting over the fear of starting could very well be the hardest part.