Despite injuries, MHS wrestling places in top five at states

By Kimberly Yamaguchi

Whether it was living up to past reputation or being driven by past misses, eight of the 11 MHS wrestlers that competed at the state competition, placed on Mar. 2 and 3 at the Neal S. Blaisdell Arena.

“It was a real fun experience. I did way better than last year, than I expected. I never placed last year, but this year I made it to the finals,” stated Senior Robert Kim Jr. who placed second in the 145 weight class.

However, these achievements didn’t come easily. The team faced a series of injuries, some being detrimental to their success. “I think this year we had more injuries than we have ever had in the past. Some of the kids got concussions. (Sophomore) Isaac Diamond took second in state last year 114, got hurt in the practice room and he was out for the rest of the season. Which was a big blow to the team,” explained head coach John Robinson. Junior Angela Lee who placed first in the 121 weight class added, “Getting my collar bone fractured and spraining my ankle. Injuries. They always put you back.”

While some had to work around injuries, others chose to put in the extra time and effort. “After practice I trained with my coaches to work on my cardio and my strength. Run, extra sprints, use weight vests and drills,” said Kim.

The state competition was also an opportunity for the team to achieve things they hadn’t been able to throughout the season. “After I lost, I took second at my OIA’s tournament because of an injury. I wanted redemption at states,” said Lee. Of her win she added, “(I was) overwhelmed, as soon as I got my hand raised or as soon as I pinned her actually. I was happy.”

For others it wasn’t the first time they had won a state title, but their win didn’t come without struggles. “Second time winning states. It feels really good. Actually this time it feels a lot better than last year, just knowing that I’m a multiple state champion now,” stated Junior Braydon Akeo who placed first in the 125 weight class. “I think the most challenging part in the mental aspect. Getting yourself ready physically and mentally ready for competition. Mentally it’s just all in your head. You got to believe you’re the best and that’s how you’re going to win.”

On top of these struggles, this year’s team was less experienced than in previous years.This year’s team was a little bit younger than last years as far as experience and age goes. I’d say it affected their performance on the confidence level and their mat awareness,” said Robinson.

Despite these struggles the team managed to be seated as the second best public school in the state and a majority of the participants placed with Juniors Braydon Akeo and Angela Lee  first, Senior Robert Kim Jr and Freshman Zacharay Diamond second, Junior Kelly Rivera third, Freshman Kaylin Castro fourth and Senior Dayton Furuta and Junior Phairin Hicks fifth.