JV basketball team wins OIA champs, redeems last season

By Timothy Leoncio

The MHS JV basketball team beat out Moanalua High School on Feb. 12 and won the hard-earned 2013 Red Division Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) Championship title. The score at the end of the decisive game was 47-43.

It was the team’s third appearance at the finals in a row and cemented their 2-3 record. “I just want to thank the coaches and I want to say congratulations to the team,” said forward Sophomore Braiden Rosario, “We did it and I’m proud of everyone.”

The championship game at Moanalua was a hard-fought battle in itself. “We got into good D, we didnít chill in that game,” said forward Sophomore Kingston Nishimura. “We did all we had to do, so I guess we played perfect basketball for the most part of it.” The game was close and the players had to work hard, down to the wire. Head coach Jason Tittle said, “We were up 28-20 at half, but Moanalua came back to tie it at 30 in the third quarter. From that point in the third quarter, we went on a 15-5 to put the game out of reach late in the fourth quarter.” Rosario said, “It was exciting. There was a point when Moanalua tied the game, but we stayed calm and we followed through and we ended up beating them by four.”

The loss at last season’s appearance against Campbell was still fresh in the minds of the JV team as they played for first in the 2013 championship. ìI told the team that the game, no matter the outcome, doesnít define our season,” said Tittle, “The process of getting there is what was important.” Rosario added, “My motivation was to win the OIA champions because last year we lost, so I just wanted to  get this one this year.”

With that in mind and victory being sought after more than ever this year, the team went to work on improving their game. “We just focused on playing defense and definitely staying calm and just doing what we do,” said Rosario, “For me, being the team leader and helping everybody stay calm, and a lot of assisting.” Tittle said, “(The) expectations (were) the same. Play defense, work together and don’t be selfish.”

All of the struggles paid off as the team brought home the OIA championship trophy and redeemed themselves from last year. “I’m just glad to be on this team and be able to win the championship my final year in JV,” said Nishimura, ìThe coaching was great and Iím glad to have the players as teammates.”

The JV team continues to play hard for another chance at a championship run next year and continues to prepare the players for performing at the highest level.