Touchdown! York awarded coach of the year, Morikawa offensive player of the year

By April-Joy McCann

Although the Trojan football season has long been over, head coach Roderick York and Quarterback Senior Jarin Morikawa are still reaping the benefits of their great success. This year York was selected as the 2012 OIA West Coach of the Year while Morikawa was chosen as OIA Red West Offensive Player of the Year due to their outstanding performances throughout the season.

“I mean you’re proud of it and all the hard work you put in, but you also got to be thankful for all the coaching you’ve gotten along the years and all the coaches who put in the work this year to help you and your team get better,” expressed Morikawa.

Each football coach nominates their own players every year. However, the Player of the Year is selected by opposing coaches. They are not allowed to vote for their own players. York was selected through a similar process. “That being said, it’s even more special because it’s coming from the opposing coaches,” said York.

One of the reasons Morikawa was selected is because he is a team leader on and off the field.  “He’s our team captain. He’s our team leader. He led us to a great season. Of course it starts from the o-line and you know his numbers speak for (themselves) and definitely the win column was pretty good this year so he was well deserving,” said York.

Morikawa was also determined to do well and continually improve. “He always ran the routes with all the receivers. That’s why I think our passing rate was so great because they stayed after practice, they put in all the hard work to become as good as they were,” explained Defensive Lineman Junior Ian Herold-Namu.

For York, this is the second year he was given the title, as he was Coach of the Year in 2010. “He’s a great coach. He’s well prepared; always knows what to say. He knows how to fire the boys up and get us ready to play. I accredit him and all the other coaches that helped him win that award,” said Morikawa.

Without York, many players feel the team wouldn’t be what it is now. Like Morikawa, he gives his one hundred percent to the players. “He does whatever he can for us. I mean everything he has he puts into the game for us,” said Herold-Namu.

It is those goals that he has taught the team that keep the Trojans striving for success. “As much as it’s important to win games, it also taught us life lessons. Things aren’t always going to go your way and he’s really taught us that no matter what hits you or what adversities or what obstacles come in your way, you always just got to find a way to overcome it and keep pursuing your goals,” stated Morikawa.

The awards showcase their progression as a team and the Trojans’ legacy. “(The award) represents the team and that we’ve been doing well,” said York, continuing, “I don’t need my name in a paper to understand that I’m doing it right, you know, we’re doing things right and the program speaks for itself.”

York hopes to improve his coaching for next year’s football team while Morikawa plans to continue playing football on a college level.