‘It’s all about relationships’ Alumni Air National Guard Brigadier General Braden Sakai credits MHS with much of his success

By Shan Yonamine
Photo courtesy of Brigadier General Braden Sakai
Braden Sakai and family celebrate his promotion to Brigadier General after Governor Neil Abercrombie pinned on his new rank in May of 2012.

MHS has come a long way since opening its doors 40 years ago and so have the graduates it has produced. One such individual is Brigadier General Braden Sakai, who has risen in the ranks of the Air National Guard to have command over the 154th Wing and credits much of his success to the experiences he had at MHS.

“It’s all relationships, how you get along with various personalities, so that’s what I learned a lot from (MHS),” explained Sakai, who was part of MHS’ first graduating class in 1978.

As a commander, Sakai is responsible for the maintenance of his wing. “Our job is to organize, train and equip our airmen,” stated Sakai, continuing, “I am extremely honored and humbled to serve our great nation and state of Hawaii as a member of the Hawaii Air National Guard. I simply love serving the greatest and most innovated airmen in the Air Force.”

Sakai attributes much of the success he experienced in his career to his wife, Momi Sakai. “She’s my girlfriend from high school; I credit her with almost everything. She’s been by my side, she’s supported me, we’re kind of a team (and) she’s still supporting me,” said Braden Sakai of his wife’s continual support, adding,

“We started dating toward the end of our sophomore year. She is by far my strength and the main reason for our success together.”

Momi Sakai reaches out to other families in the Air Force by doing things such as offering support when their spouses are deployed.

In addition to meeting his wife, many other people touched Braden Sakai’s life throughout his years at MHS, such as Math teacher Edward Sawada, who remembers not only Braden Sakai, but his entire class. “When (the class of 1978) were freshmen at (MHS), there was no upperclassmen, and then they became sophomores, there was no upperclassmen. So for all four years they were the leaders of the school; they had to set the traditions, they had to take charge of what they wanted and I believe that because of that, that class was very, very successful,” stated Sawada.

Sawada also recognizes unique characteristics about Braden Sakai, such as his athleticism, which he believes contributed to his career. “(He) did a lot of lifting, and that helped him to be a better pilot I think because he’s physically built; he could withstand the g-forces a lot better when he flew,” added Sawada, continuing, “I understand he’s very well-liked (in his position).”

Like Sawada, who remains at MHS, the Sakai family made being a Trojan a family affair, as Braden Sakai’s two daughters are also MHS alumnae. His son Sophomore Brandon Sakai is currently enrolled and already taking a similar path to that of his father’s. “I think it’s cool that I’m going to the same school as (my parents),” stated Brandon Sakai.

Like his father, Brandon Sakai is a member of the JV football team. This common interest allows Braden Sakai to pass on tips he had gained through his own experiences. “(He) tells me everything about a certain position, so like for slot back he tells me that I have to run full speed all the time, just be prepared for everything that comes at me,” stated Brandon Sakai, continuing, “I always wanted to play football but then I was always hooked up on baseball but when I came to high school I wanted to try it out and follow my dad.”

In addition to football, Brandon Sakai hopes to become successful in his career like his father, a desire that comes from admiration of his father’s success in the military. “(I admire) the way he works hard everyday at work and how he cares about the family,” explained Brandon Sakai, “I hope to gain more education like he did from here, more responsibility and stuff (like) what he learned.”

Even with his now prestigious title, Braden Sakai still remembers his humble beginnings at MHS and hopes that his son Brandon Sakai has as much to gain as he did.