MHS Marching Band takes first at Kamehameha Tournament of Bands with ‘Nevermore’

MHS Marching Band takes first at Kamehameha Tournament of Bands with Nevermore
By Ramil Lorenzo Gonzalez

Despite having performed a dramatic three-part piece on sorrow and insanity, the MHS Marching Band returned from the 36th annual Kamehameha Schools Tournament of Bands on Nov. 3 overjoyed, having nabbed five first place awards and winning overall in their division, beating out schools from across the state.

“I was ecstatic,” expressed Drum Major Senior Keanu Robles, “just because, you know, it’s (my) senior year and it’s nice to have that come to us.”

The marching band received the highest rating in their Class AAA division, “superior,” and earned first place in Music Execution, Marching and Maneuvering, Color Guard, General Effect and Drum Major, as well as second place in Percussion. These awards also ensured them the Sweepstakes Trophy, given to the highest scoring band in the division. “It was a confidence booster for all of us,” said MHS Marching Band adviser Derek Kaapana, continuing, “When we heard the awards and the scores I think we all felt really good. (There) was a lot of energy going into it and a lot of motivation and they did really well that evening.”

This achievement came on the heels of a major disappointment a week prior on Oct. 27, when their first competition, the Kapolei Marching Band Festival at Kapolei High School, was cancelled due to an unexpected tsunami warning. The tournament then became the marching band’s only opportunity to compete after months of dedicated preparation. “We’ve been preparing for about six months. We started in June and we’ve been working our way up to this point,” remarked Robles. Marimba player Freshman Taylor-Anne Kim added, “It was satisfying because all of our hard work, all the way from summer when we had our first band camp when we started, all of that’s what our hard work went to.”

This year’s efforts were directed to their rendition of Edgar Allen Poe’s poem “The Raven,” “Nevermore,” which challenged students to push their limits. “It was a very dramatic show,” commented Kaapana, continuing, “They did a lot of body movement or dance type movement. I hope they kind of take away that they are capable of doing more than playing an instrument, that they can do other things as well.”

Though this was their only competition due to the cancelled Kapolei event, the curtains haven’t closed yet, as the marching band is still working to refine their performance for upcoming noncompetitive events. “Even though we’re not placing, it doesn’t mean that we ended. We still continue to strive for better because there’s always room for improvement,” said Kim.

With all of their exhibitions already behind them, the MHS Marching Band is eagerly awaiting their chance to perform again next school year.