Side by side: MHS JV and varsity cheerleading place first in preseason

By Alemarie Ceria

Despite a new team, slow start, some bad grades and concussions later, MHS’ Varsity and JV cheerleading teams both ranked as number one at the preseason Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) Cheerleading Competition. On Oct. 20 at Leilehua High School, they qualified to move on to the OIA West Cheerleading Competition to be held on Nov. 3.

“This year we had four people who really experienced the varsity competition team and the rest are just new and upcoming people so it’s definitely a different environment and a different way of handling it. So to be able to make it that far and do that much, it’s been a very proud moment for all of us,” said Senior Bounliphone “Mot” Xayabath.

In the beginning of the year, the cheerleading teams had challenges when adjusting to their new teams. “Every year, it’s a brand new team because we got to build the whole program all over again,” said Kierstedt, continuing, “Each year (has) the same trials and tribulations, but improvement because there’s different personalities having to work together and then coming to accomplish a task.”

Practicing together since August, Kierstedt first thought practice moved slowly when the team experimented with different moves. “Practices in the beginning, it was kind of slow because we were trying out new things, trying out new tricks. The turning point was during break, when they realized we only had a week or so left and we had to perform it. That’s when everybody stepped it up and said ‘you know, let’s do what we got to do,’” explained Kierstedt.

The teams felt that the obstacles they went through helped strengthen their teamwork and bond with each other. Kierstedt formed a motto, “Best only side by side (BOSS),” which influenced them greatly. “It impacts us so much because if we’re not in sync or not together, then it’ll be just a mess but since we’re so in sync now, we got first place for both JV and varsity,” explained Sophomore Kiarra Bae.

Kierstedt not only impacted her team with her motto but with her motivation. “She tells us what we need to do, that we can do this. That we can get through it. So it makes me feel like ‘oh, I can do this.’ It gives me more confidence,” expressed Sophomore Christopher Boullion.

Their motivation and teamwork resulted in a win for both teams with the highest score of five out of five for their dances. “I think it was our dance that won them over, our energy, because we believe that when performing, we just put it all out there as in we put our hearts on the mat and we put on a show because that’s what we’re known for. That’s our strength,” explained Xayabath.

Along with their other achievements, both the JV and varsity teams scored higher than other competing teams at the preseason competition. “I am so proud of them.  I remember JV last year, we always tried our hardest but we didn’t get first that much and then this year’s JV, they’re like ‘Bam! First!’ I was like ‘Whoa!’ I was super proud of them,” expressed Boullion.

The JV and varsity teams are hoping for another win at the OIA West competition, which will be held on Nov. 3.