40th anniversary homecoming parade

By Makanalani Yamanoha
Senior Sylvester Poncillio tries to pump onlookers up as his class mascot, the blue and silver phoenix.

MHS students of all ages showed their school pride as they marched in the 40th annual Homecoming Parade on Sept. 21 through Mililani Town.

“I just want to get everybody to show their school spirit even more then they have on the past years because it’s the 40th anniversary,” said Trojan Man Senior Christopher Easterling, a participant in the parade.

MHS teacher Tyson Kikugawa was one of the alumni that had the chance to represent his graduated class. “This is actually my first time doing a homecoming parade since I came to the school.  So it’s been a while since I have been a part of something like this,” he said, continuing, “I think it is pretty amazing.  I was here for the 30th one … It’s been another ten years so hopefully the 40th (year) will be just as good.”

The JROTC walked at attention and the Marching band created a rhythm for the rest of the parade to follow.  Representatives Ryan Yamane and Marilyn Lee rode alongside the Alumni and Homecoming Court while the Trojan Man saluted to the crowd. “This is the best homecoming (parade) ever, everyone is all dressed up and we are going to have a really good time today,” stated Sophomore Princess Kayla Moniz.

The event was made possible with the help of the school administrators and officers. “This school has such great people, such great teachers, the principal, the vice principals, everyone makes the school really great,” said Moniz.

Ending the line-up, future high school students follow the MHS legacy and marched in the parade.  Mililani Middle School, Mililani Ike Elementary, Kipapa Elementary, Mililani Mauka Elementary, Mililani Uka and Mililani Waena, were represented by marchers decorated in their class colors so that community members of all ages could contribute to the Trojan legacy. “I think it was really good because the themes (this week) were centered on leaving a legacy,” Easterling explained.

The parade has encouraged school spirit for the past 40 years and will continue to do so. “I think its cool to see how long this school has been here and it’s a good school,” said Senior Princess Holly Hayashi.

Homecoming Parade has ended, but the MHS legacy will continue even in the years to come.