Letter from the editor

By Shan Yonamine

Homecoming is here; the much-anticipated football game and the announcement of the spirit trophy winners will soon be upon us. For some, this victory is what defines homecoming, but what truly defines it is the sense of togetherness it fosters among all social groups at MHS.

Even though classes are pit against one another and rivals are created, homecoming is one of the few schoolwide events in which students from all walks of life are encouraged to participate in the festivities. In fact, it’s one of the few events in the school year that unify all students at MHS with common goals, being school spirit and class pride.

It seems that there’s much emphasis placed on the court and winning the game. And yes, the events that comprise homecoming are vital; however that’s not what homecoming is really about. Homecoming is about togetherness and fostering a sense of unity throughout the school. Events such as banner building and lip sync  are simply opportunities in which this camaraderie can occur.

If there were no homecoming events to participate in and no healthy competition between grade levels, students would have nothing to root for and nothing to be passionate about. It is this competition that pits class against class and school against school that brings students together, not through winning but by giving a chance to come together and support each other.

Homecoming is a time when students should embrace this feeling of unity and become active in these events. Without participation, it can be difficult for some to see the point of homecoming.

It’s easy to use the excuse that you’re “too busy,” but in doing so what students really adopt is the notion that they’re “too cool” to participate. However, this attitude is wrong. Since homecoming is a time meant to spread unity, it’s not right that any one student should feel that they are above participation. What binds us is that we’re all students of MHS and we should all embrace this time of year. Homecoming is the time for us to act as one united student body, social status aside.

Take advantage of this chance to come out of your shell, even if you are otherwise reserved. Dress up and show class pride and take comfort in the fact that the majority of the rest of the school is doing the same.

You can even take it a step further and sign up to march in the parade or join lip sync. Participation is a key component to your enjoyment of homecoming week. When you look back at your high school years, these are the things that you’ll remember fondly. You’ll remember the feelings you had and the people you were with, not necessarily who won the game or what class had the most spirit.

So whether this is your first homecoming or your last, it’s not too late to get involved. Go to the football game, watch the parade, be a proud Trojan. But above all, embrace the unity that homecoming brings.