Swim team splashes into the season with a new coach

By Kelsie Teves

Before receiving the position as the new MHS swimming coach this upcoming season, Science teacher Ryan Micale had swam competitively from the age of six and had 14 years of prior coaching experience that make him eligible for the job.

“I have years of experience including several years with Hawaii Swim Club, four years at Moanalua as head coach there, and then a number of club organizations back in the Midwest before I moved out here,” explained Micale.

Coming to MHS without the intention of becoming a coach, Micale’s new position was proposed by students. “I had four girls come into my room, four swimmers, and they basically told me the story about how the coach left and so they were wondering if I was interested in being the coach here,” explained Micale continuing, “Then the (Athletic Director Glen Nitta) came to my room and asked me if I was interested in coaching. I thought about it for probably a week and a half or so and then I made the decision that I was coming back to coaching.”

Determined to make the swim team excel, Micale sets high expectations for the swimmers this season. “For all of the returnees his expectation would be like a higher leadership role, because we are supposed to be the role models and we are supposed to control majority of the team,” explained Dewald. In order for the team to be successful, Micale has set objectives for himself as well. “My goals are to use the tools that I have, the skill set that I have to make every swimmer on the team better, faster, stronger and help them achieve their goals. Because it’s ultimately not about what I want, it’s about what they want and what they believe they can do,” explained Micale.

With this mindset, swimmers are motivated to put in their best efforts this season. “He was very serious; he was very motivated to have a really good year which I really like because that brings his students more spirited and upbeat about the season,” stated swimmer Junior Kaena Maeda.

Hopeful of his swimmers, Micale and his team will start practicing for preseason in October in anticipation of doing well this upcoming season.